SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-03-07, 07:14 PM   #1
zunkus

Default Triumph Street Triple

Do you think the Triumph Street Triple makes sense?
Would you buy it over the 675? If its not at least a grand cheaper I don't think I'd consider it over the 675. I'd gladly strip off the fairing and have the proper engine instead of the detuned version if I wanted a naked. Don't get me wrong, I love nakeds but Triumph seem to do theirs as old schools streetfighters do so why don't we do it ourselves? Have bikers become so lazy as to buy already made streetfighters? Its a shame really.

http://static.blogo.it/motoblog/street_triple_3.jpg
Old 29-03-07, 07:28 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Street Triple

Huuum been asked about this already, having ridden the 675 (well as much as I could) the engine would need some serious work to make it anywhere near good enough, the compertition would be bikes like the Kwak Z750 and you can get thoughs for the £4k mark, OK the brakes and bouncy bits are better, but not that much, and of course it'll never come close to the Speed triple, that'll always be the Daddy .

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-07, 08:31 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

How about a slimmed down streetfightered Rocket 3 ?
Now that would be a bit of a head turner and an interesting ride.
Old 29-03-07, 08:41 PM   #4
the_runt69

If it was a reasonable price I'd go for one coz the Speed triple is too large an engine for my 7 and half mile commute to work, it would be wasted. quite like the look of it as well.
Old 29-03-07, 08:42 PM   #5
chazzyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Yeah, drop a couple of pots and hey, look; a nice BIG single.
Old 29-03-07, 08:54 PM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzyb View Post
Yeah, drop a couple of pots and hey, look; a nice BIG single.
Have you guy sat on one , the bikes size is dictated by the engine and even lopping off a couple of cylindes wouldn't make any difference as the engine is sideways, it's just massive.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 29-03-07, 09:01 PM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Huuum been asked about this already, having ridden the 675 (well as much as I could) the engine would need some serious work to make it anywhere near good enough
Eh? The engine in the 675 is supposed to be awesome. Or does it still need to be revved a bit too much for a nekkid?
Old 29-03-07, 09:39 PM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
Eh? The engine in the 675 is supposed to be awesome. Or does it still need to be revved a bit too much for a nekkid?
In the world of the SS6's I'd agreed the engine is indeed a good one , however in order to make it that way they've lost the torquey pull that is the staple of a naked bike (and even more so if it's in the range with a speed triple), cam re-profiling, perhaps a longer stroke & re-map and perhaps even a bit more weight on the crank would be a minimum to turn the engine into anything more than a naked SS bike.

Cheers Mark.
Old 29-03-07, 10:47 PM   #9
K

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunkus View Post
Do you think the Triumph Street Triple makes sense?
Makes sense...

... MAKES SENSE!

Since when did sense ever enter into the equation. It's the ugliest, sexiest, tightest-arsed, knee-weakening collection of metal and rubber to ever grace this earth.

In black anyway.
Old 29-03-07, 10:49 PM   #10
the_runt69

I find myself in a strange position

I agree with K

(Bows down before K)