SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-09-07, 07:37 AM   #1
mr.anderson

Default The New Highway Code

So come on then, who's going to go any buy one and tell us what's new?
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-07, 07:40 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: The New Highway Code

no smoking behind the wheel
Old 28-09-07, 09:16 AM   #3
slark01

According to the news, most of the new items are only guidelines.
You will also find that most of it is just plain common sense, the smoking one is a very good example. Wife used to smoke while driving ( I used to tell her off all the time ), she stopped doing it when she lost control of the car and it scared the sh!t out of her.
Old 28-09-07, 09:52 AM   #4
Ceri JC

The smoking thing is supposed to just be guidance and to help apportion blame in an accident (IE if someone crashes and they're smoking, they might be deemed to be more responsible on the grounds that they could have been distracted by it). Sadly, I hear they haven't put in any of Psychocannon's highway code recommendations. Maybe next revision?

Anyone know if they do a "what's new in highway code 1.75" thing at the front like IT docs so we don't have to read the whole thing?
Old 28-09-07, 09:58 AM   #5
Jabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC;
Anyone know if they do a "what's new in highway code 1.75" thing at the front like IT docs so we don't have to read the whole thing?
You refer to a "Change Log"....... what a good idea

Mind you, it does assume that the reader is familiar with the contents prior to change
Old 28-09-07, 10:41 AM   #6
mr.anderson

I don't theink they have added a change log.

The article in the paper did say that they should have highlighted the changes as "The Official Highway Code is for life, not just for passing your test"
mr.anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-07, 10:47 AM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
You refer to a "Change Log"....... what a good idea

Mind you, it does assume that the reader is familiar with the contents prior to change
Sorry, I don't utter that dreaded combination of words, it brings me out in a rash. All too often, when customers ask me to preserve their customisationn to a system during an upgrade and when I ask to see their ch*nge l*g to enable me to do this, they look at me like I've just spoken in Swahili. After a bit of prodding they produce a document with one or two incredibly vague lines detailing gems such as, "Changes: Some reports" or, "All changes done by consultant". When I explain that this means nothing and I cannot make and promises on keeping the changes, they act indignantly as though the very existence of a file called "ch*nge l*g.xls" (irrespective of its contents) is some magical panacea that will save them. Gah, I need to lie down.

Whoops looks like I went off on a bit of a tangent there. Personally I think a ch*nge l*g is a good idea as with one, I'd read it; Without one, I won't.