SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-11-07, 10:56 AM   #1
Smudge

Default speed camera catches two bikes

Ive just received a letter saying i was doing 53 in a 40 zone and the camera picked up me and Pete n Lissa if theres two vehicles in the picture can they still prosecute or is there a way out?
Old 16-11-07, 11:01 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: speed camera catches two bikes

cameras usually take 2 pictures, so they can work out your speeds independently from that. if you were both speeding i expect they can just do you both, guilty until proven innocent and all that

www.pepipoo.com seems to be the place to get advice
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 11:04 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 View Post
Ive just received a letter saying i was doing 53 in a 40 zone and the camera picked up me and Pete n Lissa if theres two vehicles in the picture can they still prosecute or is there a way out?
If they have photographic evidence that you were speeding then unless you are prepared for a huge and possibly expensive battle, then just fill out the NIP and send it back, I'd imagine for that speed you'll get a £60 fine and 3 points.

The scamership will have looked and the photos and the distance travelled using the lines on the road as markers and used that to calculate the speed of both bikes and then sent the NIP to the speeding bike that triggered the camera I think.

Just pay up and take it on the chin.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 11:05 AM   #4
G
Mega Poster

I would be careful, pepipoo is damn good but if you start protesting it they may start trying to say you were racing the other bike or something stupid.

Good luck though and try pepipoo
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 11:05 AM   #5
glsuk1970

If it was a fixed camera that takes 2 pictures at a set time apart then I doubt it as your speed is distance/time. More Crap News did an article a while ao about the accuracy of the hand held guns when aimed at a bike who is in close proximity to a vehicle moving at a different speed bit, as usual with MCN, the result was inconclusive.
Old 16-11-07, 11:13 AM   #6
petevtwin650

It was on my suggestion that Smudge may have an "out" on this offence as we were in the pic too. I thought that there was some confusion as to who tripped the camera. We were doing the legal limit and had pulled over as we saw the camera. Unfortunately Smudge mistook this as me letting him past and accelerated past at just the wrong second. We were not riding fast or dangerously as it was a 40 limit.
Old 16-11-07, 11:18 AM   #7
Smudge

looks like i'll just pay up should i let my insurance know straight away or when i get my licence back, dont say i dont contribute to society that should feed a house full of poles for a week
Old 16-11-07, 11:27 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmudgeK3 View Post
looks like i'll just pay up should i let my insurance know straight away or when i get my licence back
Wait till you get your license back then you'll know exactly what the fine and points were.

If its your 1st three points it probably wont make that much difference.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-07, 11:33 AM   #9
Smudge

hope so but they have told me it is 3 points and a fix penalty of £60 which i thought was £30
Old 16-11-07, 11:34 AM   #10
Smudge

serves me write for bosting that i dont have any points