SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-11-18, 08:14 PM   #21
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trouble removing the exhaust

Next puzzle... swing arm lock nut on the right and the regular nut on the left are off. Does the swingrm pivot need unscrewing out or just get pushed out? The right end seems to have space for a 20mm allen key? Do I need to get yet another tool or anyone got any tips of how to cheat and not buy a 20mm allen key?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 10:17 AM   #22
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
if you have a selection of bolts, find one with the correct size head, lock two nuts onto it and use that.

I'd seen people welding nuts onto bolts but locking two together is much simpler. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-11-18, 11:04 AM   #23
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Cheers. I've just bought 3 other large sizes for my workshop for bicycle cassette jobs though, so trying to not spend more on tools at the moment. It's all adding up, with the castellated locknut tool, Abba swingarm removal adaptors, new socket for sprocket etc.
Doing the usual quick cheap easy job and it's getting complicated and expensive!

I've worked out that my spark plug socket reversed and used on an extension (with the rubber sleeve removed from the inside) has flats on the outside that fit perfectly. So, swingarm pivot is now out!
Old 07-11-18, 12:01 PM   #24
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Next puzzle... swing arm lock nut on the right and the regular nut on the left are off. Does the swingrm pivot need unscrewing out or just get pushed out? The right end seems to have space for a 20mm allen key? Do I need to get yet another tool or anyone got any tips of how to cheat and not buy a 20mm allen key?
EBay and search swing are removal tool it's about 15 quid and easier than mucking on

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 12:25 PM   #25
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
EBay and search swing are removal tool it's about 15 quid and easier than mucking on

Cheers. I already have that tool and the castellated nut was the first thing off a few days ago. I was referring something to unscrew the pivot (swingarm axle) with as Pointys seem to need a 20mm allen key to slot in and unscrew, whereas my Haynes manual was saying it's an external socket surface to turn against, but I'm guessing that is for Curvys.

All done now anyway. Cheers.
Old 07-11-18, 02:21 PM   #26
Bibio
Mega Poster

if you think the tool is expensive wait to see if you need new bearings.... kerchingggggggg.

you will also need the allan socket to put it back together again.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 02:54 PM   #27
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Cheers. I already have that tool and the castellated nut was the first thing off a few days ago. I was referring something to unscrew the pivot (swingarm axle) with as Pointys seem to need a 20mm allen key to slot in and unscrew, whereas my Haynes manual was saying it's an external socket surface to turn against, but I'm guessing that is for Curvys.

All done now anyway. Cheers.
Sorry yes it's the Allen socket.
Tbh they're not too expensive even for brand items
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
if you think the tool is expensive wait to see if you need new bearings.... kerchingggggggg.

Thankfully never had that displeasure on the white bike

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 04:02 PM   #28
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

Having worked as a bicycle mechanic for 10 years the price of tools and parts never really surprises me any more. I regularly fit bicycle headset cartridge bearings that cost £40 each, per cartridge! And they aren't the most expensive option. Using tools that cost £300+ for specific jobs that you need 3 variations of. Just last week had a customer opt for £90 bottom bracket cups instead of the £16 ones as he wanted shiny red to match his bike.
Old 07-11-18, 04:47 PM   #29
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Pleased to report that main swingarm bearings feel great. Even got some grease left in them. Lower bearings ok too. Shock linkage is a bit stiff but turning fine, so should be good with a clean out.

At this stage I have to decide if I want to get a relacement shock in there while it's all apart! Can no way afford it right now but seems crazy to put it all back together to be having the same wooden riding feeling. The reason I'm taking it all apart is to rule out the bearings being the problem in case they're stopping the swingarm moving, before sinking money into a shock. The bearings definitely aren't a problem. Giving it all a clean down and refresh while it's apart anyway.
Old 07-11-18, 07:59 PM   #30
Craig380
Mega Poster

That's good news about the swingarm bearings. I'd be interested in whether you find the suspension linkage bearings still have any grease in them too.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote