SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 22-11-04, 04:00 PM   #1
wilistew

Default Advice on parking in London

Hi there. As i am new to this board i have been helpfully informed that quite a few of you may live in London, so have posted this here as well as on the main board.

I have been on this site before and always found information posted very informative. I am looking for a garage space in central london and was wondering what experience other people have had. Do some of you rent a private/council owned garage/lock-up or do most just leave their machines on the street? I have looked on the web but not found a great deal. The stuff i have found is almost exclusively for cars. I live in Nw1 and am looking for a permanent home for the bike. A garage/lock up takes £550 off the insurance!

Thanks for any help posted.

Wil
Old 22-11-04, 04:17 PM   #2
Boomer

Hi Wilistew,
I park my bike on the street, put a bike cover on it and chain it to a lamp post etc.
My friend got quotes of around £500 - 600 per year to park in the local NCP car parks. Maybe worth going in to car parks in the area and asking the attendant how much they would charge.

Hope that helps.
Old 22-11-04, 10:21 PM   #3
SteveH

Public NCP carparks are no good sorry, you need a garage that only you have access to, I had the same trouble as yourself and have been through it all.Try your local housing office (or whatever they call them now) or go privately by checking out your local papers. Unless you get a good deal you will spend more money on the garage then you save but it depends on peace of mind and I don't want my baby on the street
Old 23-11-04, 05:37 PM   #4
CoolGirl

If they're gonna nick it , they're gonna nick it. The most secure thing you can do is have a private garage with an alarmed door and keep the bike chained and locked up inside it. You're certailny well advised to at least park off the road or pavement if you can (where it's less likely to be picked over by the local yoot, let alone nicked)

Me, I park mine in the front garden, behind a 7ft hedge and well out of view. It's alarmed, has an oxford heavy duty chain attaching it to next door's railings and wears a cover.

Mind you , it's being sold, so if you want to rent the space.....

Debs