SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-09-06, 09:29 PM   #1
EfiniX

Default New bike. Old question (I'm guessing). Power Commander

I've got nice new 2006 SV650. It's my first bike and I couldn't be happier! I'm over 2000 miles in 3 months and I can't believe I didn't start riding sooner in life (now 2.

So here's my question. I'm sure it's been answered before, but humor me 'cause a cursory search yeilded too much to sift through. Since the search seems to look at signatures, the terms I input are on every page!

I have a K&N filter and a Yoshimura can (not a full exhaust). I'm debating a power commander. actually, not debating to be fair. I will buy one, but I don't know if I'm going to wait for a few weeks, or just buy one now.

Is there any harm in running the bike as-is for now. I'm sure the power commander will make a noticable positive change in performance, but will it also prevent injury. I've only had the exhaust on for a week at this point. if it goes another few weeks, I can't imagine it will do harm. Then again, I'm new to all this. I used to tune cars, but this is no car!

Also, whenever I tuned cars, I would always replace the plugs when I made engine modifications and had to tweek the computer mapping. Is this a good idea for the bike even though they only have 2200 miles?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 02-09-06, 09:11 AM   #2
SV650Racer

Firstly you dont need to worry about the plugs on the SV unless your making big engine changes.

Every bike will react differently to having a can fitted. For example my race bike when it was a stock motor with an M4 system fueled totally different to an identical bike of same mileage and spec. Until you can get your fueling checked you wont know for sure whether it is running lean or rich. To be honest though i have never seen one react badly enough to an exhaust that endangers the motor, but this doesnt mean it cant happen.

Regarding the power commander, for the above reasons, dont just plug and ride. Get the bike onto a dyno and get the map adjusted to your bike if needs be. The downloaded maps arent perfect for every bike so your bike could still not run as well as it could with a downloaded one.

Or if you want to save yourself some dosh then get it remapped on a Yoshi or Teka box instead or if someone over there has the software we have that allows full position mapping into the standard ECU. The Yoshi/Teka box would be more than enough for what you have (95% of those raced here in the UK only use this) and the extra bucks you save could be spent on lots more things.