SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 03-04-08, 06:54 PM   #1
Lozzo

Default Fast group

Apparently I was occasionally being watched on Monday by a mate of my racer mate. He says I should try a session in fast group to see how I get on next time I go out. So, I'm going to do a half day at Donington next time we go and see what the score is. As it is I'm starting towards the back of the inters pack and working my way through quite well, overtaking quite a few and rarely getting passed by anyone else, so maybe they are right.

I've always said I don't want to try the fast group because it's more aggressive and too competetive (I do trackdays for fun, not to prove I'm the fastest in my group), but I think I may have to just give it a go.
Old 03-04-08, 06:55 PM   #2
Stig

Default Re: Fast group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Apparently I was occasionally being watched on Monday by a mate of my racer mate. He says I should try a session in fast group to see how I get on next time I go out. So, I'm going to do a half day at Donington next time we go and see what the score is. As it is I'm starting towards the back of the inters pack and working my way through quite well, overtaking quite a few and rarely getting passed by anyone else, so maybe they are right.

I've always said I don't want to try the fast group because it's more aggressive and too competetive (I do trackdays for fun, not to prove I'm the fastest in my group), but I think I may have to just give it a go.
You can't say you don't like it if you've never tried it.
Old 03-04-08, 07:10 PM   #3
Balky001
Mega Poster

Lozzo, do it

I did advanced at Rockingham last year as there were no spaces in inters and novice were too slow. I also started advanced at Silverstone for the first time and considering it was on a new bike on a track I didn't know with average tyres I was really apprehensive. Apart from the ocassional nob who cut underneath as they were 'supersport' material in the heads (not you Blue, you gave me loads of space!) it was much safer than other groups as people know lines and have better overall control. My first session (2nd one of day as missed first) was so bad I wanted to go home as I was off pace, by my tird session I was overtaking some although still being passed a lot. It was good fun
Old 03-04-08, 07:48 PM   #4
Demonz

Was reading about the laptimes today on another forum with the Sivlerstone traffic in fast group doing avg 2.29/2.30s. I ran clocked my times on the 2nd to last session and they were a comfortable 2.32s with traffic/2.26 without traffic - so I 'm sure you will be on the pace pretty quickly.

My theory moving up to inters was the same as Balkys - if you move up a group you learn to keep up through better lines as you have more mentors on the track to watch and learn from. Also less likely a need to take evasive action...
Old 03-04-08, 11:24 PM   #5
Lozzo

I'll give it a go, cos I'm sure I was bettering 2-30s round Silverstone. Next trackday is Donington GP, and I love that circuit.

I've been inters for as long as I've been doing trackdays, with the occasional novice session when I've been setting the bike up or inters is full.
Old 04-04-08, 01:39 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balky001 View Post
Lozzo, do it

I did advanced at Rockingham last year as there were no spaces in inters and novice were too slow. I also started advanced at Silverstone for the first time and considering it was on a new bike on a track I didn't know with average tyres I was really apprehensive. Apart from the ocassional nob who cut underneath as they were 'supersport' material in the heads (not you Blue, you gave me loads of space!) it was much safer than other groups as people know lines and have better overall control. My first session (2nd one of day as missed first) was so bad I wanted to go home as I was off pace, by my tird session I was overtaking some although still being passed a lot. It was good fun
I totally agree

Everyone is very predictable, though if you leave the door open - expect someone to be up the inside! I found the idea of going in the fast group daunting, but 2 things happened. I overtook way less - maybe 2-3 bikes a session and was overtaken by about the same number. The pace was a much better match which meant I could concentrate on my riding. I also think that it help me lift my game a lot

Only downside was that I wasn't used to the faster pace and found I running out of steam/was losing concentration much earlier in the day than when running in the inters. I guess after a few days you get used to it though
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 06:46 AM   #7
Flamin_Squirrel

T'was my first time in the fast group at Donny last week, and I much prefer it to inters. Passes were much cleaner.
Old 04-04-08, 10:15 AM   #8
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Never been in the fast group but again moved up to inters not just because of the pace but because you can rely a lot more on people knowing what a racing line is, novices were becoming a pain in the **** because overtaking through the bends was a bit unpredictable (ouch) and on the straights any monkey can open the throttle. Do it!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 02:20 PM   #9
weazelz

if you're getting held up in inter's then it's well worth moving up
Old 04-04-08, 04:20 PM   #10
Lozzo

I do get held up in inters, not usually for long, but it happens on the entry to a lot of corners where I can't get through without barging someone off the correct line (if they were ever on it in the first place). I don't have any problems on the exits because very few people will put the power down early, which is something I don't mind doing, I do most of my overtaking coming out of corners