SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-01-06, 11:20 PM   #1
james160987

Default an introduction and questions

Hi
im new to this site but have been viewing it for a few months, i was stuck between a zxr400 and a sv650 till yesterday when i took the plunge and brought a sv, price tag was attractive

i passsed my test last april, befor and till now i have been riding a rs 125, but now have the sv, (anyone want a rs?) i brought a blue, k4 model, 5000 miles, fully faaired from cj ball in hales, was 3499, got it for 3199 with 33bhp restrictor kit and free crash bungs, (restrictor will come out when im confident on the bike,

From reading the site can i conclude that you cant just change the can on the sv, you have to cut the orginal off, or is there just a bolt on can?

also ive heard the forks are pretty soft, is it best to modify them in some way, if so, what do i need

and last of all tyres, i belive its best to change them? so something like diablos,

sorry if questions have been covered befor, im not to technicly minded so might have read and not understand, anyway help is appreciated ,

james
Old 13-01-06, 11:29 PM   #2
Cloggsy

Default Re: an introduction and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by james160987
(anyone want a rs?)
Hell, if you're giving it away, I'll have it

Welcome to the site
Old 13-01-06, 11:42 PM   #3
Jelster

Welcome to the site...

"SV's for dummies", Part 1

The can is welded to the link pipe, so you have the option of either fitting a complete system, or cutting the can off of the link pipe. I think CCC may do a "long" link pipe, that will replace the standard unit.

Forks - Their ****e... There's a few things you can do, but easiest and cheapest is to upgrade the fork oil. Somebody will be along and advise the best weight to use.

There's a whole list of other "simple" mods, but I'll let somebody more experienced give them to you in part 2

And good choice BTW, 400's are great on the track but hard work on the road.

Oh, and my son will be 17 in May, he'd love an RS...

Old 14-01-06, 12:13 AM   #4
Saint Matt

I know you Welcome mate. If you're anywhere near I can fit the can if you are nervous about cutting the exhaust at all
Old 14-01-06, 10:38 AM   #5
james160987

unfortunly your miles away from me matt, im in norwich, yeh i thought you would have to cut the can, may sound dumb but if you cut the orginal off, well how does a new can stay well attatched,
Old 14-01-06, 11:25 AM   #6
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james160987
unfortunly your miles away from me matt, im in norwich, yeh i thought you would have to cut the can, may sound dumb but if you cut the orginal off, well how does a new can stay well attatched,
With a link-pipe - This piece of pipe bolts onto the 'stubby end you've just created by cutting off your original can & bolts onto your new 'aftermarket' can