SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-12-07, 12:20 PM   #1
Viney
Mega Poster

Default So then, My bike starting issues

Doris isnt starting as good as she could be. She is a k1 sv with 54000 on the clock.

Anyway, shes always started on the button. Recently, shes decided to be grumpy in the mornings.

I have a fueling issue as she won't start with the choke on, but you have to apply the choke after the engine catches(A strip and clean will probably sort that)

Its down to the electrics as well now. I replaced the battery with a bad boy form Yuasa, but i have a feeling that it maybe the Starter motor, solenoid or starter clutch.

Turn key, hit the starter button, startermotor enages, then instantly disengages. This only seems to happen 1st thing in the morning, and is fine once warm, or the bike has been sitting in the garage downstairs at work.

So, what i need to know, is waht are the symptoms of either the Solenoid, startermotor or starter clutch not working?
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-07, 12:26 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: So then, My bike starting issues

You say it disengages?

Does that mean it goes "zz zz-nowt"? Thats the motor itself not having power.
Put power to the starter motor directly from a jumplead on its contact under the rubber boot, that'll show if the starter motor's ok.

If it goes zz zz zzzzzzzzzzzz then thats the starter spinning but the starter clutch isnt engaging, and its the starter clutch you want to check out.
Old 28-12-07, 01:05 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

Ian, I've got both spare on the engine up in Enfield, could get Shel to strip them of for you if you want to try swapping them out ?

Let me know, of course I'm not able to get around but if you want to collect that can be arranged.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-07, 02:59 PM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Cheers mark, but i'll start with swapping bits off vernas SV.

Yes yorkie. I'll try that in the morning. im just confused as to why it only happens on the 1st start of the morning. Its fine when its been started.
Old 28-12-07, 04:29 PM   #5
Stig

Have you checked the condition of the electrical connections on the solenoid and starter motor Have recently had a bout of bad starting on the Dullsville. After a strip down of the solenoid and starter motor I found plenty of furring, it now starts on the first press of the button.
Old 29-12-07, 12:31 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Problem found. Rectifier is kaput...again! Well what do you expect when you buy secondhand parts

So off to find another rectifier.
Old 29-12-07, 04:22 PM   #7
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

I had a problem with my sv recently where the starter clutch decided to fail and no longer grip and turn over the engine.
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-07, 08:30 AM   #8
Viney
Mega Poster

Whack a set of jump leads on the SV and shes starts 1st time, and its a new battery, so by this deduction, and the checking of said regulator to find the diodes up the duff, it is that