SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-02-08, 11:23 AM   #1
svrich

Default Brake pads

Both my front and rear pads need changing. Is there a recomended brand etc for my K2 s, mainly used for commuting?
Cheers
Old 26-02-08, 11:30 AM   #2
Blue_SV650S

Default Re: Brake pads

Any 'green'/organic pad, I use EBC green at the mo, but have bought some Armstrong green off eBay as they are cheap

These are the exact ones I got for my curvy (prolly a diff set needed for a pointy).

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 26-02-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 26-02-08, 11:36 AM   #3
Kinvig

What's the benefit of green/orgainc?
Old 26-02-08, 11:44 AM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

EBC green pads are kind on discs and cheap. I used to run them in my Bandit 600 when it was all I could afford. Downside is I found they didn't have tons of initial bite, and outright braking force is less than with a set of sintered (HH) pads when you're braking hard repeatedly (fast road ride, track time).

For commuting, wouldn't be able to fault them though.

Someone here has mentioned that Versah (sp?) pads are rather close to OE without being quite as dear.

Jambo
Old 26-02-08, 12:03 PM   #5
Dave The Rave

Goldfren anytime.
Old 26-02-08, 12:21 PM   #6
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
What's the benefit of green/orgainc?
For commuting they work in all conditions (wet/dry/hot/cold), don’t really need any heat in them, so Ideal for a commute .. basically they are just predictable/consistent and don’t destroy your disks like HHs do

I get a bit larey from time to time on my commute, and they hold up ok, I’ve never suffered from brake fade, but have to admit, I wouldn’t want to use them in the fast group on a trackday!! .. but that is not what they are designed for!!

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 26-02-08 at 01:17 PM.
Old 26-02-08, 12:28 PM   #7
svrich

Cheers Blue.
I'll go for them I think. ?25 for a full set seems very good!
Old 26-02-08, 01:16 PM   #8
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrich View Post
Cheers Blue.

I'll go for them I think. ?25 for a full set seems very good!
Seems good deal doesn't it ... Although have some at home, I haven't installed the Armstrongs yet, so can't report on them in particular, but the EBC greens are ideal for commuting. As the EBC greens are 'basic' pads, I can't see the Armstrongs far off the mark of the EBCs

Last edited by Blue_SV650S; 26-02-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 26-02-08, 02:53 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Someone here has mentioned that Versah (sp?) pads are rather close to OE without being quite as dear.

Jambo
Vesrah makes the pads you find in your bike when you buy it new. They are OE manufacturers who supply Tokico, Sumitomo and Nissin with all their pads for new build calipers. When you buy Vesrah packaged pads you're buying exactly the same thing that your franchised dealer charges twice the price for in their packaging.

Guess who used to be a Vesrah sales rep?
Old 26-02-08, 03:45 PM   #10
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Vesrah makes the pads you find in your bike when you buy it new. They are OE manufacturers who supply Tokico, Sumitomo and Nissin with all their pads for new build calipers. When you buy Vesrah packaged pads you're buying exactly the same thing that your franchised dealer charges twice the price for in their packaging.

Guess who used to be a Vesrah sales rep?
that's a cool bit of info, thanks.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote