SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-10-08, 06:30 PM   #1
nik_nunez

Default thank god for R&G crash bungs

had a off on the way to work - about 20 seconds from my house is a roundabout (i was running late) did not go around it any faster than i normally would ( about 15-20 mph) and next thing the bike was sliding down the road without me. jumped up thought *&^%*&£(_&$, got on the bike set the mirrors started it did a quick brake test and rode the 30 miles to work - the trip was not the best felt a bit shaky and tired after about 20 mins riding, the ride home was a bit better did not feel 100% like normal and was more causious than normal. Generally felt ok during the work day a bit tired and worn down but nothing major

right side R & G worn down a bit - front brake lever broke but only the end, rear brake lever is bent but not broken, front right indicator is scratched - and the good news the paintwork on the fairing has a few small scracthes that should polish out

called the local garage and he thinks he may have a front brake lever and a R&G crash that i can get cheap, but the rear brake he said was expensive - from the look of the material the brake is made of if i try and bend it back it looks like it could break - any more imput on this? anyone tried to bend it back successfully? if not WTD rear break lever

clothing wise nothing took to much damage apart from my knox bag that has a few small holes
Old 17-10-08, 08:16 PM   #2
tanis34

Default Re: thank god for R&G crash bungs

you were lucky im glad it wasnt any worse
Old 17-10-08, 11:12 PM   #3
PJinUK

Had a very similiar thing, with very similiar damage,,,looked on here and Petevtwin was breaking a bike like mine,So i asked if he had the bits I wanted and bought em of him,,,I was happy, he was happy and didnt cost the earth,,sooooo,,,look through the for sale section,,you might find yer bits,,,CHEAP!!!!
Old 17-10-08, 11:23 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Sorry to hear about this bud. Hope you can sort the bits cheap. Check Ebay for levers! They turn up often and should be a good deal
Old 18-10-08, 06:30 AM   #5
nik_nunez

i might try bending back the rear brake lever, hopefully it wont snap - the front brake lever seems quite cheap
Old 18-10-08, 07:15 AM   #6
rob13

Nik, the front brake lever can be picked up for about £5, I bought one online somewhere and theyre just like the originals.

The rear brake lever is about £25 from breakers. They come up regularly so I would keep an eye out for one there.

The R&G bung - buy one off ebay, in fact you can get a set off ebay for about £30 which mean you would have a spare bung if it happened again.

Indicators are ten a penny, loads on ebay, and I would think that Bandit indys would probably be the same too.
Old 18-10-08, 08:54 AM   #7
simesb

Quote:
Originally Posted by robchester View Post
Indicators are ten a penny, loads on ebay, and I would think that Bandit indys would probably be the same too.
+1 - and a lot of GSX-R ones too.
Old 18-10-08, 09:15 AM   #8
Dicky Ticker

Heat the rear brake lever up before you try to straighten it and be gentle, Little bit at a time ,more heat then another bit of gentle persuasion. YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT HOW MUCH YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH
Old 18-10-08, 05:08 PM   #9
nik_nunez

thanks for the tips, got a front brake for a 10 today and fit it, will try and heat and bend the rear brake tomorrow,

scratches polished out well enough that you can not see them unless you knew where to look

still felt a bit odd on the bike today

got my bake tyre removed for a puncture and refit and the chain seems tighter than before, now i have noticed the back tyre locking up when changing down, is this down to a tighter chain, or just me being a bit nervous on the bike?
Old 18-10-08, 11:04 PM   #10
rob13

Nik, if you want it checking over, you can always bring it over and Ill have a look. Just check the chain on the sidestand and check it for play half way between the sprockets.