SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-07-12, 08:11 AM   #31
Elliott

Brill! Like you say hopefully you never have to use them, but it another piece of safety gear.
Old 21-07-12, 10:13 AM   #32
speedyandypandy

Default Re: Crash bungs - worth putting them on?

One thing to remember in the future is bungs that bolts directly to the engine is good, bungs that gets bolted to brackets on the frame is asking for a frame you need to change if you ever go down, and some bungs come out to far, it's better that they don't go out beyond the fairing, it's not the fairing you want to protect, it's the engine and frame. If they stick out to far they can catch in a crack in the road etc and the bike will do a fancy flip, and you just increased the damadge by bolting on crash "protection"
I don't use bungs on my SV, and I've lowsided twice, once becuase of a car that didn't want to stop for me in a roundabout and once on track, the pin on the gear lever was broken both times, other than that cosmetic damadge only.
On the gixer I've taken the hacksaw to them because they came out to far, now they are flush with the fairing, but I've yet to "test" them on the gixer , it's just a matter of time before they get tested.
Old 24-07-12, 08:56 PM   #33
SBG

Thanks all - i have fitted the R&G bungs to the bike today - hopefully never need them!

Also they might give me some protection from the scooter brigade in the bike bays too!
Old 24-07-12, 09:16 PM   #34
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

They're all rubbish, and any personal stories are just that - personal.
The anatomy of a crash is a bizarre thing and what works fine in one will be hopeless in another.
There are plenty of truly terrible crash bungs on the market and the ones I suspect are the best seller are utter carp and so variable in quality as to not be worth a tenth of their cost.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-12, 09:34 PM   #35
The Idle Biker

oooh? I dunno Sid?I had an off at Cadwell 2 weeks ago. R&G crash bungs. One bung got bent but it probably saved me £200 quid of fairing.

Also, because it dug into the grass and mud it slowed the bike before it squashed me into the tyre wall. I was quite grateful for it that day. Although the bolt is bent and will have to be replaced I think it did it's job that day.
Old 24-07-12, 10:09 PM   #36
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
any personal stories are just that - personal.
The anatomy of a crash is a bizarre thing and what works fine in one will be hopeless in another.
And:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Biker View Post
oooh? I dunno Sid?I had an off at Cadwell 2 weeks ago.
The best thing about crash bungs? They probably won't do more damage then if you didn't have them. Probably.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-12, 12:01 AM   #37
Bordtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid View Post
And:

The best thing about crash bungs? They probably won't do more damage then if you didn't have them. Probably.
Unless they dig in and flip the bike?