SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-12-06, 08:27 PM   #1
nikki_sv400s

Default crash bungs help?

right i was thinking of getttin crash bungs for my new gixer600 when i get it....

i need to know is this good idea or bad? (keep in mind one side of fairing needs to be dare i say ......DRILLED :cry)

and which is better and why?

R&G or DHM? or is there better?

can someone help please?
Old 17-12-06, 08:37 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've got R & G's on my K5 GSR-750, I'm insured with Ebike who give a discount for having R & G's installed and thats the only reason.

My fairing didnt require drilling to fit them as they fitted in the same place the OEM Suzuki bungs did that I had removed.

Here's a link to the R & G Website where theres more info

Linky

Does look like the K6 fairing might need modifying, might I suggest you pop a post onto www.gixerjunkies.net, its a UK based site. Somebody on there will definately be abe to help you.

HTH

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-06, 08:38 PM   #3
kwak zzr

DHM get bad reviews but they saved alot of the right hand side of my sv when i crashed, R&G are ment to be better but are more expencive.
Old 17-12-06, 08:48 PM   #4
Kate

I haven't got around to getting crash bungs for my gixer yet, I just can't quite bear to get the fairing drilled

When I do, I will be getting R&Gs, I had them on the SV and they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 18-12-06, 12:20 AM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I'm not really an R&G fan myself, but the GSXR designs that I've seen were very solid, I'd fit them first thing myself. You're never more likely to drop a bike than when it's new, and you're never going to be more bummed out if you do drop it, so to me it makes nothing but sense. Badly designed bungs can damage frames etc, but that's not really an accusation that's ever een levelled at R&G. I'm 100% sure that crash bungs have saved more damage than they've caused, several times over- my 70mph slide on the SV meant a new front brake lever, without protection it would have been a whole lot worse.

Often, the cases where bungs do cause serious damage occur in crashes bad enough to have destroyed the bike anyway... Someone posted one of these on VD a while back, with a huge tirade against the bung makers, I forget who- a frame hole got ovalled when a bung bolt bent. But the frame had msasive scrapes in anyway, and the engine was holed and full of gravel. The bike was scrap anyway...
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote