SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-03-07, 01:02 PM   #1
c_noble

Default Starting Issues

hey all, having a few issues starting my curvy. Battery went flat the other day so i got recovery. Sames happened 2day. Has never done this b4, and i havent changed anything recently, apart from a indicator bulb. thanks for any help
Old 15-03-07, 01:11 PM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Starting Issues

what bike is it?

it sounds like the battery is duff or the rectifier
Old 15-03-07, 01:14 PM   #3
c_noble

a 99' sv 650, is it ok 2 use a car to jump start it?
Old 15-03-07, 01:25 PM   #4
Baph

A car SHOULD be OK to jump it with, but that won't solve your problem.

Do you get any sort of clicking noises?

Have a search of the forum on how to test the charging circuit, myself & others have given lots of detailled advice about what voltages should be what & where & what direction etc.
Old 15-03-07, 01:41 PM   #5
c_noble

Yeh i can here the clicking, and my speedo and rev guage going up and down. Will look for posts cheers.
Old 15-03-07, 01:43 PM   #6
Grinch

Speedo and Rev guage going up and down, have you checked the battery to be sure its not flat?
Old 15-03-07, 01:48 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_noble View Post
Yeh i can here the clicking, and my speedo and rev guage going up and down. Will look for posts cheers.
Your battery is definately flat then. What you want to be doing is trying to work out why.

As the others have said, check your reg / rec is charing the battery properly. Also how old is your battery they dont last forever, so it might be worth investing in a new one. And possibly an optimate as it'll keep the battery topped up when the bikes not being ridden.

One more thing to check is that the terminals on the battery are clean, and are done up nice and tight.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote