SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-08-23, 08:26 PM   #1
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Exclamation I have been riding my SV again

Warning: This is going to be a long post, which given that I have barely ridden my bike in the last five years, is somewhat surprising.

Back in 2007 when I bought the SV, I was told by the man in the shop that it was suitable for me to use for touring around Europe... If I knew then, what I know now, I would have laughed in his face and then demanded a discount because I spent close to £5k in his shop that day on the bike, an alarm and the riding gear.

These days, illness and disability make riding hard, but when the daughter bought herself a new bike, a Kawasaki GTR1400, we knew that we all needed to go away for a bit of a biker's break. We chose North Wales, but getting there from North Somerset was going to be hard for me, so I decided that I needed to strap the bike to the back of the car and then off we could go for a week of riding. Life is never that easy though and that was the weekend when I met a lovely breakdown man from the RAC called Rob, from Bristol. You see, three weeks before we left for our trip, I had driven my best friend over to the historic steam railway to play on some trains and the alternator on the car died. A very nice engineer from the steam railway put a test meter on the car and she was producing eight and half volts! So I had the wife replace the alternator while I played with my Lego. Then two days before leaving on our trip, the alarm failed on Sylvie and shut down the ignition while I was riding home from ASDA with a baguette and some French cheese. That Datatool alarm had worked faultlessly since it was fitted in 2007, but sadly, the internal battery died and because the whole lot is sealed in resin, it could not be replaced. However, the wife and her daughter came to my rescue and twenty minutes later, Sylvie was running again and I have a new Jayney Special edition alarm!

Finally, the day of our trip came and with my daughter's girlfriend in the car with me, we set off on our motorcycle holiday.
Wifey and Daughter filmed the trip and so I present riding an SV around North Wales, while trying hard not to crash into the magnificent scenery.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

The first day of riding for me, was just a local trip, taking in some of the sights and visiting some of the places I used to play when I was a climbing instructor. Barmouth had not changed in twenty four years and I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not? However, my heart broke when we arrived at Eric's Cafe. The climbing paradise that is Tremadog has lost it's love of the sport it seems, since Eric retired. Eric Jones was a hero of mine when I was training to be an instructor and it was so sad to see what had become of his legacy, a once shining light in the mountains of North Wales.

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

The weather was not my friend while I was away and as soon as the clouds covered the sun, my arthritis started complaining, as did I, because leathers get heavy when they get wet (from the rain, I'm not that old yet!). However, I had last visited Pen Y Pass twenty years before when I was doing my Mountain Leader Training (Now you know why the arthritis is so bad!), which just happened to be on my thirtieth birthday and I was up to my nipples in the winter waters that flowed off the summit. I had no desire to ever get that cold and unpleasant at this stage in my life. So with my waterproofs in the seat pack and my hand bag full of pain relief, we set off for a day trip. I am sure that most of you here are more than capable of riding a hundred miles in a day, but for me, this was going to be a big day out and I was excited.

YouTube Video

We stopped for dinner in Llanberis and spent some time chatting up the local birds.
I also got to show off my gorgeous Vision Video t-shirt I had picked up at their gig, when I had got to meet Goth Dad himself, but that is a story for another day.
Then it was back on the bike for the ride back to the holiday cottage.

YouTube Video

In this one week, I had ridden more miles than I had in the previous five years. However, my bike was glorious, she rode with impeccable manners and with almost 30K on the clock, she is running beautifully. It breaks my heart to think of the time when I can no longer ride and I know that it is coming. However, for me, this was the trip of a life time. I did get a migraine on the way out of Llanberis, but even with that, this was the best holiday I have ever been on, including all of those mad ones in my twenties when I got paid to climb mad stuff and look like a loon on a crag! Until I took this trip, my heart ached whenever I thought about climbing or mountaineering. But now, I have new memories and they are of riding motorbikes in the mountains with my family. To be honest, could I ask for better memories? I don't think so. We all get old and we all lose the agility we had in our twenties, but until I lose my faculties, this trip will always be with me.

By the way, before any of you ask. I am never selling my bike. I have told my daughter that when I am too infirm to ride, it is going to her and she has to look after it for me. Then she has to ride it to my funeral ( clearly after I kick the bucket, aged ninety eight while being chased down the street by an angry jealous husband who knows what I was doing to his wife)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 06:38 AM   #2
Geodude
Mega Poster

Default Re: I have been riding my SV again

Awesome and thanks for taking the time to share with us oh and thanks for the post and photo cards

Electrical fault finding guide and Regulator rectifier test

Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 08:29 AM   #3
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well done Jayne, looks like you all had a great trip. Watched and enjoyed the first two vids, I'll sit down with a cuppa and watch the other two today.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 08:40 AM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Sounds like a fantastic trip with your family. A shame the weather wasn't kinder, but that's always a lottery.

Keep on keeping on!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 07:31 PM   #5
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Great stuff Jayne. Just watched the last two vids. Cracking ride. I knew exactly where you were all through as I have ridden most of those roads so many times over the last few decades.
Old 03-08-23, 06:54 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

thanks for sharing Jayne. only watched pt1 so far but was good
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-23, 06:26 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

The early parts of the Run to Barmouth brought back some cracking memories of following Gary around the same roads a year ago now. The rickety wooden toll bridge up the river from Barmouth and the run in beside the estuary, with views of the rail bridge, and it looked like you parked opposite Davy Jonnes, as we did on the Saturday morning for brekkie. Cracking indeed.

As it is seeing you out on the bike again Jayne!
Old 06-08-23, 11:20 PM   #8
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude View Post
thanks for the post and photo cards
Bless you, you know that I love to send you a peculiar letter every now and again. It's because I am a weirdo and you don't mind!

Thank you all for the lovely comments about wifey's films, she gets quite bashful when I tell her that people have enjoyed them. Wifey is the film maker, along with her daughter. I have never ridden with a 360 degree camera on my bike before and the footage was lovely... because you could only see the back of my head and not my wrinkled and wizened face, that comes from riding in the rain!

Daughter dearest is already talking about doing something similar next year, but we will have to see. What didn't help on this trip was when duelling in the river Gwynant with our lightsabres, I got hit on the fingers by the wife! Now I know why Luke Skywalker screamed like a girl, it really hurts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-23, 08:11 PM   #9
Ruffy

Good to read your story Jayneflakes, and if you don't mind I can add my own [far less interesting] update here: I've also been out riding an SV recently after a long break.

I was knocked off in late 2019, totalling my SV Curvy in the process. I've hardly ridden since, mainly due to Covid and no working bike. But not too long ago, my son bought himself another and, since he's away working at present, he's allowed me to use it. So even thought it's mainly rides to/from work myself, I've also been able to do a couple of longer days & weekends away since late July.

It's been great. Not setting the world on fire but confidence and riding fitness seems to be returning slowly and steadily. Even riding home in the rain tonight wasn't a downer (though I definitely prefer dry!!!)
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-23, 08:25 PM   #10
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Good man Ruffy. Great to see folks getting back on two wheels.