SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 03-07-09, 12:28 AM   #1
sv_rory

Default Midi

does anybody here understand midi?

I bought a new behringer ddm 4000 mixer and got the traktor software with it, I paid the extra to have the full software.

I bought a midi to usb cable thats connected the mixer and the pc. I cant seem to understand how to get the mixer to communicate with the pc? According to the packaging its got the tks file there with all the settings? Theres no instructions on how to do this so im a little lost to say the least.

Any help mucho appreciated!
Old 03-07-09, 07:41 AM   #2
TheNinj1

Default Re: Midi

Drivers? as in USB/hardware drivers, just plugging the cable into the pc won't make it work (unless it's "plug and play").

So check the behringer website for drivers.

Also, don't plug the mixer in until the drivers have been installed. What OS are you using?
Old 03-07-09, 07:55 AM   #3
shifter

What's the idea of useing a mixer with midi, is it for automation? If you're after editing on board effects and so forth the i would have thought you need to connect it via usb rather than midi.
Old 03-07-09, 08:28 AM   #4
sv_rory

yeah the cable that goes between the mixer and the pc is midi to usb.

I'm going to have to go onto the traktor forums to try and get this working.

Basically to this will allow me to control the dj software on my pc with the dj mixer
Old 03-07-09, 09:21 AM   #5
Jackie_Black

XP may automatically install a USB to MIDI cable but you're more likely to need drivers. ONce they are installed boot up the program and find the midi settings page. THere will be a list of all of the i/o settings for the program. Select the midi driver you've just installed and hey presto.

I'm not familiar with the program but I am very familiar with midi and PC's!
Old 03-07-09, 11:05 AM   #6
J

I've got a bit of experience with this as i use Traktor with an EKS XP5 midi controller.

I'd start by making sure the mixer is recognised by windows by looking in device manager, with my XP5 i have to fire up a bit of software that sits in the system tray before it is recognised as anything other than just a sound card.

In traktor you have to load the tks for your device by going into preferences and midi setup - when you press the load button you should see a few tks files, just pick the one for your device. You can test to make sure it is working by creating a new function in the midi setup (anything will do just to test) and then press the learn button then any button on your mixer to see if it's getting picked up. If it isn't then the mixer isn't being seen by Traktor.

You'll also need to go into audio setup and assign each deck to an audio channel.

It's been a while since i've used Traktor so all this is from memory.