SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-07-13, 09:46 PM   #1
JohnStMartin

Default Cheap asian indicators / tail lights off ebay... how dangerous ?

Looking to get integrated tail light / indicators for 2007 pointy, saw a set on ebay for £20 , including relays for the indicators. also saw matching flush indicators for the front for £8. no relay .

three questions about all this,
First is it safe ( quality )
Second is it safe (visability) :LEDs, flush indicator, integrated signals
Third , where do you squeeze the relays in ?
Fourth , is it likely that ether the indicator or brakes will work , but not both at the same time ?

Thanks in advance .
Old 22-07-13, 10:03 PM   #2
Tomor
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cheap asian indicators / tail lights off ebay... how dangerous ?

Three questions...then you ask 4
1 Will be ok, but dont expect it to last years. Yous pays for what yous gets IMO
2 I personally don't like them and don't think they are a good idea. Not as visible as normal indicators. Are they MOT Legal? I was of the understanding they are not?
3 the relay replaces the standard one under the seat by the fusebox.
4 More than likely, when you turn the indicator on, that side of led's for the brake light will flash alternately with the indicator.
Old 22-07-13, 10:09 PM   #3
JohnStMartin

Thanks for the advice
Old 23-07-13, 02:53 AM   #4
Purity14

Default Cheap asian indicators / tail lights off ebay... how dangerous ?

They are crap.. Followed two guys through congleton the other week from the maccies to the m6, one curvy one pointy... They were unable to outrun my car
But on topic the pointy had one of these lights and genuinely i couldn't tell the difference between him breaking and not breaking, the amount of led lights are less than oem and although they look good, i dont fancy being rear ended by a car.
Old 23-07-13, 08:43 AM   #5
JohnStMartin

oh ok. consider me put off the rear, but how about flush indicators ?

Last edited by JohnStMartin; 23-07-13 at 08:51 AM.
Old 23-07-13, 09:19 AM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Clue in the name Flush so you can't see them as well.
But you can't rely on people seeing oe ones anyway
Essex Dave has Gixer mirrors with built in indicators on his 1000 , They look great and stick out well .
Old 23-07-13, 09:33 AM   #7
Daffy_Duck

I had the integrated signals rear light led's.... Nice idea but when braking the brake lights flood the indication signal so anyone following struggles to make up there mind about what your doing.
I was told this by my girlfriend and couple of friends so i disconnected the blinkers in the back light and got some nice LED indicators to go above the number plate either side as normal they look sweet enough and safer!

Then gsxr1000 mirrors look good i bet! Any pics?
Old 23-07-13, 10:33 AM   #8
Geordie Mick

I had the "flush" ones in the front of my SK6. They're not actually that flush, though obviously don't stick out much either. I didn't ride that much in traffic, so wasn't too concerned, and the ones I had were fairly bright (not Chinese ones). Still got them in the 'box o bits' somewhere.

MICK..
Geordie Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-13, 11:18 AM   #9
Owenski

Firstly the rear integrated brake light indicators are illegal/MOT fail (dunno if its actually illegal but its certainly an MOT fail because the spacing of the lights is outside the requirement of VOSA. So be sure to leave connectors and mounts in place for you to slip on some stalk like units for MOT time as a keen tester will fail you for it.

The flush mount ones I've used in the past and IMO look the nuts, so long as they're coupled with another forward facing set. I did the mirror integrated option so had a flush and mirror indicator flashing at anyone time. As regards quality, you get what you pay for HOWEVER don't assume the UK based units are any different to the Chinese ones which look the same because they're not, they're exactly the same you're just paying for the premium of having them sooner/from a UK distributor.

Personally I'll always buy the chinease ones, they're cheaper and I Have a habbit of "Messing" with things and this can sometimes lead to breaking them. Far easier to order another set and learn from my mistake when they cost a fraction of what I'd have to pay to buy from demon tweeks.

Flush Link

Tail Light Link

For the mirrors you'll need to find a page on here where you're told what you need and what to do to install them. It'll include what you need to know regarding the resistors etc too.
Old 23-07-13, 12:18 PM   #10
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Mot reason for rejection.
The stop light is adversely affected by the operation of another light
The position lamp is adversely affected by the operation of another light .
Plus re insurance .if a clued up person does the inspection they will try to reduce there liability in the event your clobberd up the bum .