SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-10-10, 06:28 PM   #1
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default One for the I.T. Detectives

I've had a letter through and it just doesn't seem right.

I've checked some of the details and the website and it ties in, there is a website for the company, but I've no idea if it's a front for something or what.

So after you all did such a good job with the DD fiasco, I thought I'd see if you fancied another challenge.

Right, letter goes along the lines of:

There was a shooting outside a nightclub back in 2000 (true, I don't know the folk involved but the guy went down in 2009 for it) we're trying to trace anyone who was there and we have your details as possibly being there (God knows, I don't know what happened last week).

Please ring 0800 6226831, if you don't we'll send one of our agents round after 72 hours.

Letter is vague, there's some poor grammer (for a professional letter) it states there's nothing to worry about, but seems like a half veiled threat to get me to give them a call.

Website is www.oceanlegal.com

Any help would be appreciated, call or ignore?

Ste
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 06:33 PM   #2
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: One for the I.T. Detectives

Quote:
Originally Posted by svste View Post
I've had a letter through and it just doesn't seem right.

I've checked some of the details and the website and it ties in, there is a website for the company, but I've no idea if it's a front for something or what.

So after you all did such a good job with the DD fiasco, I thought I'd see if you fancied another challenge.

Right, letter goes along the lines of:

There was a shooting outside a nightclub back in 2000 (true, I don't know the folk involved but the guy went down in 2009 for it) we're trying to trace anyone who was there and we have your details as possibly being there (God knows, I don't know what happened last week).

Please ring 0800 6226831, if you don't we'll send one of our agents round after 72 hours.

Letter is vague, there's some poor grammer (for a professional letter) it states there's nothing to worry about, but seems like a half veiled threat to get me to give them a call.

Website is www.oceanlegal.com

Any help would be appreciated, call or ignore?

Ste
Are you in any debt?

Anyhoo I'd ignore it.
Old 21-10-10, 06:35 PM   #3
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Ocean Legal seem to be some kind of PI lot

IANAL but I'd be inclined to wait and see if anybody calls - if they do then I'd be 99.999% sure they have no legal right to enter your property so tell them you don't know anything and to F... off and stop contacting you
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 06:43 PM   #4
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
Are you in any debt?

Anyhoo I'd ignore it.
No debt, other the usual stuff on tick. Nothing to be chased for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Ocean Legal seem to be some kind of PI lot that's what I figured, but just cos there's a site, doesn't mean legit does it.

IANAL but I'd be inclined to wait and see if anybody calls - if they do then I'd be 99.999% sure they have no legal right to enter your property so tell them you don't know anything and to F... off and stop contacting you
I was thinking of leaving well alone. Would be fun as it's my parents who got the letter seen as i've moved since. they are more than prepared to tell them where to go if they turn up.
Old 21-10-10, 06:44 PM   #5
sv4me
Mega Poster

I'm not much help I had to look up IANAL just now
sv4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-10, 06:50 PM   #6
metalangel

Quote:
Would be fun as it's my parents who got the letter seen as i've moved since. they are more than prepared to tell them where to go if they turn up.
What, to your new address?
Old 21-10-10, 07:17 PM   #7
davepreston

looks like a PI lot more than likely working for the defence/ appeal solicitors of the boy who got sent down, to find new evidance in the case, they will be throwing a large net to try and find anything in relevance to that case, if someone does come round , simply state (if you where there) i have nothing to add to what i said to the police at the time / i have no knowledge of this incident in anyway shape or form (if you werent) , sorry for your wasted trip goodbye
job jobbed
Old 21-10-10, 07:19 PM   #8
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
No debt, other the usual stuff on tick. Nothing to be chased for.

I was thinking of leaving well alone. Would be fun as it's my parents who got the letter seen as i've moved since. they are more than prepared to tell them where to go if they turn up.
I'd be wary of them trying to use this as a front to get more info on you/someone else. Any accident claims recently?
I'd just leave it alone see if they make further contact, they're not the police so they're relying on you to cooperate with them.

They've spelt Manchester wrong it atleast two places on their crappy site, always sets the legitimacy alarm bells off.
Old 21-10-10, 07:20 PM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
looks like a PI lot more than likely working for the defence/ appeal solicitors of the boy who got sent down, to find new evidance in the case, they will be throwing a large net to try and find anything in relevance to that case, if someone does come round , simply state (if you where there) i have nothing to add to what i said to the police at the time / i have no knowledge of this incident in anyway shape or form (if you werent) , sorry for your wasted trip goodbye
job jobbed
This sounds even more likely.
Old 21-10-10, 08:02 PM   #10
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Well i remember the incident (as in I read it in the papers afterwards) I'm beginning to think like Dave (help me!) that it's a large net for the defence.

they are royally screwed though:

1. 10 years ago

2. I was in a club, a bad one at that so had to be royally battered to be there. They may as well be asking me what I did last weekend when out for dave's B'day.

Ste