SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-12-18, 10:52 PM   #101
Talking Heads

Default Re: Quote of the day (sorry, Brexit related)

I feel sorry for the population of England for having been badly duped and angry at the tories for their utter disregard for the wishes of the people of Scotland.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 10:59 PM   #102
Bibio
Mega Poster

this has gotten fun.. lol

the Scottish banks were bailed out due to the fact that the Scottish printed notes are actually backed in a way by the BOE, for every note printed in Scotland the same amount has to be kept in the BOE as assurance sort of like an IOU.

as far as i know Scotland does not have any legal tender and yes that includes the BOE notes etc.etc. Scotland is still on the barter system. this might have changed when GB took us out the gold standard but i cant remember.

now the BIG problem. Scotland has no legal tender, nowt, nada. every single penny the Scots think they have in their bank account is worthless as there is no legal tender in Scotland, thats right the people in Scotland have no money in their bank acounts... yes this is hard to get your noggin round. for the Scottish public to spend any of their money they would need to have BOE notes and spend it over the border in England.

there is NO legal tender in Scotland. this was never brought up in the referendum as if it has been there would have been mass panic and a run on the banks.

so if Scotland do get independence then they can call their OWN currency anything they like as at the moment we have none.... understand.... none. the currency will be tied to the worth of the country or if they wish the gold standard etc.etc. just like any other country/currency.

Last edited by Bibio; 16-12-18 at 11:03 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-18, 11:28 PM   #103
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I'll have a check tomorrow bibs but I don't think any of the "new" notes are classed as legal tender.
Old 16-12-18, 11:35 PM   #104
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
this has gotten fun.. lol
Indeed, and I must say that with the differing views and beliefs it has been commendably civilised. Good stuff everyone.

Interesting about the status of the currencies in the countries, not something I'm aware of.
Old 17-12-18, 12:24 AM   #105
Talking Heads

Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland.

https://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/know...-legal-tender/
Old 17-12-18, 12:30 AM   #106
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I'll have a check tomorrow bibs but I don't think any of the "new" notes are classed as legal tender.
there was a murmur about ALL tender being legal in the UK due to GB taking us out the gold standard which now makes "promise to pay" "sterling" a thing of the past.

if not then be assured that there is NO legal tender in Scotland including Scottish notes and BOE notes etc.etc.

now the best bit (dont try this at home kids.. lol) fines at court including speeding. due to there being no legal tender in Scotland you can ask the judge how the court would like to be paid (barter), if the court say with money you can refuse due to the legal tender argument and ask to "work" the fine off at which point you and the judge MUST come to an agreement about the worth in a non monetary figure. failure for the judge to came to an agreement is grounds for the fine to be dropped.

another interesting fact in Scottish law is there is no "deters jail" you cant go to jail in Scotland for debt unless it has been passed to the sheriff and he sends his bailiffs the bailiffs have a right to remove goods as payment, if there are not enough goods at time of warrant then thats that and the rest of the debt is wiped.

the only time you can go to jail in Scotland for debt is failure to pay fines but then the whole "no legal tender" issue can be raised...

the idiots made the law but dont like it but cant change it and dont like to be reminded of the fact that there is no legal tender in Scotland and by rights only a barter system exists.

well thats how i see it all but i could be wrong....
Old 17-12-18, 12:33 AM   #107
Talking Heads

Only legal tender in Scotland is royal mint coins.
Old 17-12-18, 12:34 AM   #108
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Bank of England banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland.

https://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/know...-legal-tender/
no notes... nothing.. is legal tender in Scotland.. nothing nada zero. everything you think you have in your bank account is worthless in Scotland. we are still as far as i'm aware on the barter system. this is very difficult for people to come to terms with. technically the only place you can spend your money is in England if you exchange your bank account worth into BOE notes and spend them in England.....
Old 17-12-18, 07:42 AM   #109
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Only legal tender in Scotland is royal mint coins.
...and Tunnocks Caramel Wafers of course, they are definitely barterable too (is that a word?)

Incidentally, isn't Brexit Scotland's fault?

The Labour party would have never held a referendum but it's extremely difficult for the Labour to win an election without the support of Scottish Labour. When Scotland switched from Labour to SNP it allowed the Tories to rule (endlessly) continue with austerity and offer the referendum.
Ergo, Brexit is Scotland's fault QED.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 08:24 AM   #110
Seeker
Mega Poster

The Americans have a comedy institution called Saturday Night Live, a satirical view of life, usually American but this time they have turned their attention to Brexit (it's cringeworthy):

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/12/16...close-to-bone/

one line that stood out was when Cameron says to May:
"you know what's funny, people hate me, but they really hate you"

How Cameron has escaped with so little criticism is beyond me. Another example of life not being fair.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote