SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-07-09, 08:44 PM   #1
NcSv

Default Hello! I have a few questions regarding a special build.

Firstly Hello!

My name is Paul and I'm currently the owner of a heavily modified Honda vfr400 nc30 (as are 2 of my friends), the bikes all have complete Ducati 996 front ends, shortened dogbones, aftermarket shocks, 17" 160 section rear wheels amongst other things. Basically we are all very pleased with the chassis of our bikes but we can't help thinking that an sv650 motor would improve the already good bikes. Basically the chassis can take alot more and we want more torque ( I may be wrong but I believe the nc30 produces approx. 28 ft. lb of torque and the sv closer to 60 ft. lb of torque), the nc30 motor is notoriously expensive to extract horsepower from and the sv motor in stock trim is as powerful (and has more torque) as a tuned nc motor. We have recently aquired a written off 07 plate sv650 with 4500 miles on the clock and know the history of the bike. The intention is to install the Sv lump and ancillaries into the nc30 frame (one of the lads is an areospace engineer so if anyone can mount it it should be him) and retain the suzuki clockset etc.
At the moment we don't even know if it will be possible but I have some photos of an nc30 frame with an sv engine offered up by an American guy from the BARF forum, which is encouraging.

Admittedly the engine is held by a trolley jack but you get the idea.

Here come the questions, does anyone know the approx. weight of the sv engine? Are the engine mounting points the same on the early and late spec Sv's? (If this works it is likely that the other two bikes would be converted using curvy sv's a s donors due to the cost implications). Is there such a thing as a twin pipe exhaust system available for the Sv? Or a system which exits on the left of the rider? Or high level or underseat systems? Or is it easy enough to make up a link pipe?
Sorry for all the questions - I'm sure there will be more.

Here is a couple of pics my nc which I hope to install the sv engine into.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and thankyou for any advice or input, best wishes Paul.
Old 17-07-09, 08:45 PM   #2
zsv650

Default Re: Hello! I have a few questions regarding a special build.

60lb torque maybe the thou the 650 46 maybe.
Old 17-07-09, 08:47 PM   #3
NcSv

Oh right thanks for that, still a massive gain!
Old 17-07-09, 08:49 PM   #4
zsv650

as far as little v-twin's go you cant go far wrong with the suzook lump will it fit that's the first thing i'd be thinking.
Old 17-07-09, 08:54 PM   #5
NcSv

We hope to give it a good go, the donor bike was delivered this morning (unfortunately I'm about 25 miles away from it at the minute) but hope to get over with the verniers and tape over the weekend and soon after over to my friends workshop where I have a spare nc30 frame, I don't doubt the engine itself will fit it is the rads, airbox and carbs/throttle bodies that concerns me.
Old 17-07-09, 08:57 PM   #6
zsv650

you can but try if everything goes on it it should leave you with one kick ass little bike.
Old 17-07-09, 10:19 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

hhhmmmmm... looks a good project... wonder if the frame would take a sv1000 lump... there also look to be lodsa room to take a 2-1 true under seat exhaust system... also plus point for me it would be TINY...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-09, 03:11 AM   #8
Nicky S
Mega Poster

Thats mad cant wait to see the outcum good luck m8

Also welcome to the org

Last edited by Nicky S; 18-07-09 at 03:12 AM.
Nicky S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-09, 04:12 AM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Curvy engine dry (without carbs) 58kg or so.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-09, 08:07 AM   #10
NcSv

Thats interesting that means the v4 engine and the v twin engines are very close in weight (v4 56kg dry) but the nc30 runs 2 rads opposed to the single rad on the sv, the carbs on the v4's weigh around 3.5kgs so there may be a weight saving on the sv too.
The photos of my bike are actually out of date now - I've replaced the rear subframe with an aluminium item which has kicked up the rear considerably so yes there would be space for an underseat system if I needed to go down that route but I must admit I'd like to keep the exhaust exiting in the same position if possible.To be honest at the minute there are more important things to worry about. As far as the bike being small it currently weighs around 170ish kgs wet (about half full tank) but it very tall, I'm 6'1" and its been built to fit me,at a stand still my legs are virtually straight (but I do have short legs for my height if that makes sense). Cheers for the input everyone.