SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-07-15, 09:41 PM   #31
barnesy213

Default Re: What is everyone else getting mpg ?

ive worked it out now and im getting around 130-140 miles to a tank (£15) but always use supreme fuel
Old 03-08-15, 10:32 AM   #32
Corny Gizmo

You arent using the whole tank then, I have got 180-190 before now and put £21 Premium in it, and it wasnt about to conk out either.
Old 03-08-15, 01:15 PM   #33
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
cant as its not a twin spark
My K3 got around 70 mpg at a constant 70mph. Not quite 76 but getting there. Possibly the dullest boringest experiment I've ever done. 240 miles to a tank until I chickened out and filled up.

Incidentally what kinda gallons do they use in Canada?

Last edited by ophic; 03-08-15 at 01:16 PM.
ophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-15, 01:52 PM   #34
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
My K3 got around 70 mpg at a constant 70mph. Not quite 76 but getting there. Possibly the dullest boringest experiment I've ever done. 240 miles to a tank until I chickened out and filled up.

think the Canadians use US gal.

if i were to ride at a constant 70mph on a motorway i think i might be in the 80mpg range but i have never tried as i dont do MW's (they bore me to tears) and i think the furthest i have travelled on a DC/MW is 50 miles. my bike is purely recreational and as such i dont hang about. i mainly ride twisty A roads and a lot of single track roads so constantly on and off the throttle.

one of the biggest causes of high fuel consumption is dragging brakes and that is why i strip and service my brakes once a year, better to spend a bit of time and pennies on RRG/fluid once a year than loads on petrol thorough not to mention the cost of seals and pistons if you neglect them.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-15, 02:07 PM   #35
Terry Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

When we use the gallon measurement, it's mostly imperial. It's an odd mix here. We buy gas in liters. We see US fuel mileage figures in miles/us gallon. When we calculate personal fuel mileage, it's liters/100 and then sometimes convert to miles/imperial, depending on when you were born. When fueling aircraft, it's liters / 3.78 for US gallons. And then most calculations from there. The Gimli glider incident was a Boeing 767 that ran out of fuel and glided to a old air base because of a bad calculation. The figures I quoted were in imperial gallons.

Hows that for a convoluted answer?

Last edited by Terry Lee; 03-08-15 at 02:53 PM. Reason: messed up gallon to liter calculation:(
Old 03-08-15, 03:31 PM   #36
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Lee View Post
The figures I quoted were in imperial gallons.

Hows that for a convoluted answer?
Spot on. You just made me work for it.
Old 03-08-15, 07:43 PM   #37
millemille

1999 Curvy with over 80k miles on the clock. 1.83m tall, 100kg rider.

12 litres (brimmed to reserve light coming on) sees 125 miles on normal commuting in to London, with top box on, and general use. With, huge, panniers and top box fitted and with wife on the back motorway cruising at about 90 and gentle accelaration to get there sees about the same. With the same panniers and top box but no pillion playing the 100 game on the motorway (not going below 100mph for ANYTHING...) and wringing its neck on the throttle to get there the same 12 litres give 100 miles.

So between 37 and 47mpg....
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote