SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-12-13, 11:17 AM   #1
scotty217

Default SV650SK6 lower fairing repair?

My lowers on my sk6 have a couple of splits, and I'd like to repair them myself. Am I right in thinking that they are made from fibreglass? Can you plastic weld fiberglass like abs plastic or is it a fiberglass repair kit? I've worked with abs before but not fibreglass.

Thank you all

Scotty
Old 07-12-13, 04:58 PM   #2
spikidave

Default Re: sv sk6 lower fairings

I had a large split in mine and repaired it from the inside using araldite and small strips of plastic. Doesn't look great from the inside as you'd imagine but you have to look hard yon see it. But from the outside it just looks like a scratch. I'm very satisfied with the result and it's permanent.
Old 07-12-13, 08:32 PM   #3
wideguy

Default Re: SV650SK6 lower fairing repair?

Get a fiberglass repair kit. It's fairly easy, but messy and stinks. Wear a respirator or at least a good dust mask. Make sure they are fiberglass first. Are they aftermarket race fairings?

Last edited by wideguy; 07-12-13 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-12-13, 09:06 PM   #4
scotty217

WG, My lowers are the OEM extra add ons. The splits I have are on the very leading edge of the fairing and by the lowest mounting bracket.
Old 07-12-13, 09:36 PM   #5
wideguy

I don't know what those are made of. I don't have any and never really looked.
I've not looked up close and inside at any race fairings in 15 years, but fiber-in-plastic fairings always looked fibrous on the inside. Nice and shiny painted outside over the gel coat, but you could always see woven cloth or random fibers inside. You can also see cloth or fibers in any break in fiberglass. ABS will be like regular old broken plastic.
I've had good luck using ABS cement from the hardware store or home supply store to fix ABS fairings. Mostly.
Old 07-12-13, 09:58 PM   #6
scotty217

Aahhh right. It seems that my lowers are abs then, cos there are no loose fibres or anything like that. These are nice clean splits.

Thanks very much mate

Scotty