SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-04-09, 11:07 AM   #1
Magnum

Default 'Summer' body armour

When i went to buy my back protector last week, the man in the shop mentioned an armour alternative to wearing leathers. I wasnt really paying attention because i was only there for the back protector, but does anyone know what the body armour mentioned was? I think its the type you can wear without anything over the top. Also, your opinions on this gear and if you think its a good idea. Thanks.
Old 30-04-09, 11:30 AM   #2
missyburd

Default Re: 'Summer' body armour

Ok, bit of a crap pic but only one I can find, this is what Chris has. I've worn it too and it's actually really comfy. Much cooler option too with the mesh bits inbetween. HTH

Old 30-04-09, 11:43 AM   #3
the white rabbit

Don't forget you'll need some abrasion protection over it, like a textile jacket with the armour taken out or somesuch.
Old 30-04-09, 12:12 PM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

it's not actually designed to be worn on the outside as it's only really impact wear, I have the knox version which is a lycra shirt with armour in it, it means you can wear a normal jacket ( leather or denim) in summer and still retain some protection, obviously in those circumstances it's a compromise, bit lke wearing kevlar jeans.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-09, 12:18 PM   #5
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
it's not actually designed to be worn on the outside as it's only really impact wear, I have the knox version which is a lycra shirt with armour in it, it means you can wear a normal jacket ( leather or denim) in summer and still retain some protection, obviously in those circumstances it's a compromise, bit lke wearing kevlar jeans.

Cheers Mark.
As had been said - that plastic would wear through/the mesh rip and the plastic move from protecting you in no time.

But as said means you can just wear a hard-wearing material such as Denim and be reasonably safe, as Mark says, its about compromise and personal choice.

I choose to wear kevlar jeans without armour to work everyday, but as you saw on Sunday, turned up in leathers for a proper ride.

█╬╬╬╬(•)i―i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote