SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-02-17, 09:33 AM   #11
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: Non Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post

Now you have fitted your hand guards perhaps you can tidy your garage! Tut. [/DadMode]
Old 11-03-17, 11:13 PM   #12
motorhead13

I tried holding the clutch in but still doesn't start. All the electrics work though.
There's nothing when hitting the start button. The battery is fully charged and has fuel.
2 things I find odd is that the fuel light is on even though it has 6-7 liters of fuel? Does it only go off when it starts?
Also I tried bump starting it but in neutral in pushes as normal but when in gear and the clutch is in it can barely be pushed as there's friction somewhere stopping it, and it's not the brakes??

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.
Old 11-03-17, 11:16 PM   #13
Blapper

The friction is most likely just clutch drag. It needs sorting, but isn't the problem.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-17, 11:18 PM   #14
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I have to rewind.You haven't said how much you paid for the bike and if you heard it running before purchase?
Old 13-03-17, 03:52 PM   #15
chezza

Hi There, my 2010 SV has just been in the garage to replace the Starter Solenoid for the same problem.

Initial thoughts were the clutch switch as everything turns on, fuel pump primes but hit the button and nothing. However after firing into life and doing the 20mile commute home I turned it off then tried to start it again, this time it did try to start so the clutch switch was activating but the bike just wouldnt fire, strange electrical noises and the lights dimming on pushing the button. These were all the symptoms of the Reg/Rec failing 18 months ago so thats what the bike went into the garage for, but the morning of dropping it down to the garage it fired completley normally....

Long and short of it though in the garage it behaved normally for most of the day then failed and they managed to trace it to the starter solenoid... £75 later and it starts...

Good luck solving yours.
chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-17, 06:11 PM   #16
motorhead13

No I hadn't seen or heard the bike before I got it.

Thanks chezza. So yours was turning over at times then? What does this clutch switch do, I've never heard of one before?
I wondered as my clutch is dragging would this affect the clutch switch and prevent it starting?

Probably just take it to the garage as sick of bikes at the moment, I've got 3 and none run properly

Cheers though
Old 14-03-17, 12:21 PM   #17
chezza

Hi MH, as stated before, in order to start the SV you have to ensure you are in neutral and hold the clutch whilst hitting the start button (of course you could be in gear but with the standup).

The clutch switch as activated when you pull the clutch lever, if this doesnt engage properly then the bike will not start and symptoms in my experience is that nothing happens at all, no turn over, no light dip, no noise etc...

Others with more experience to me may want to add further.

My bike over the course of this issue had symptoms of the above, but then also symptoms of when my REG/REC failed last time (18 months ago), the bike would attempt a very weak turn over then do nothing to the point that it will nuke the battery before starting. This time around I didnt get to that stage before contacting the garage.

HTH
Gav
chezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-17, 05:04 PM   #18
motorhead13

Thanks.
It sounds like its not being activated then, maybe because the clutch is dragging? I don't see the point of this clutch switch thing, it's just a pointless hassle, no other bike I've had has one.
Old 14-03-17, 05:26 PM   #19
Blapper

No the clutch dragging is NOT the cause of this problem. The switch is activated by the lever and so is independent of what ever happens the other end of the cable. The dragging clutch will just make bump-starting the bike very hard indeed, and make gear selection a crunchy horrid process. If you search on here for clutch related issues you will see the info regarding correct adjustment and - if necessary - parts to change.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-17, 05:28 PM   #20
ophic
Mega Poster

side stand switch also hasn't been eliminated yet. They can get gunked up or corroded due to their position.

edit: Actually it wouldn't make a difference in neutral. So much for me trying to be helpful!

Last edited by ophic; 14-03-17 at 05:29 PM.
ophic is offline   Reply With Quote