SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-02-17, 07:33 PM   #21
Talking Heads

Default Re: Motorcycle Insurance 2017?

My current insurer is Wicked Quotes (they were cheapest last time) and soon I will find out how much they charge to change bike on the policy...

Five more sleeps...
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 08:39 PM   #22
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Thanks to all who have replied so far.This has been a great thread for me

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 08:41 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 09:54 PM   #23
yokohama

I tried for a Bennett's quote but had more mods than their online application allowed so phoned and got a not so competitive price. I eventually went with Hastings, whose main concern was that the mods didn't alter the power of the bike. Also, and I don't know how other insurers deal with this, they only pay the market value of the standard bike and don't take into account costs of any aftermarket parts.
Currently pay £87 fully comp (including legal, helmet and leathers though I think they misquoted me) but I'm not so young anymore and don't live in a big city.

Last edited by yokohama; 24-02-17 at 09:57 PM.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 10:00 PM   #24
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I tried for a Bennett's quote but had more mods than their online application allowed so phoned and got a not so competitive price. I eventually went with Hastings, whose main concern was that the mods didn't alter the power of the bike. Also, and I don't know how other insurers deal with this, they only pay the market value of the standard bike and don't take into account costs of any aftermarket parts.
Currently pay £87 fully comp (including legal, helmet and leathers though I think they misquoted me) but I'm not so young anymore and don't live in a big city.

What mods do you have?

I'm an older rider with full no claims and not in a big-ish city either(10/15 mins to Motorcycle heaven)

All I have fitted so far are a small Windshield,Front Fender extender,LED rear brake tail lights,Cheap hand-guards and a none specific Alarm.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 24-02-17 at 10:04 PM.
Old 24-02-17, 10:12 PM   #25
L3nny
Mega Poster

No insurance makes any sense, even the insurance companies themselves admit it and will never tell you what actually affects your quote. My old SV had a GSXR front end and it pretty much doubled the insurance. For something that made the bike handle better and stop quicker.
All of the cheaper quotes on comparison sites would wet themselves as soon as you mentioned mods and wouldn't touch it.
I also went with Bennets in the end but for a supposedly bike specific insurer their agents no surprising little about bikes and mods.
Old 24-02-17, 10:16 PM   #26
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
No insurance makes any sense, even the insurance companies themselves admit it and will never tell you what actually affects your quote. My old SV had a GSXR front end and it pretty much doubled the insurance. For something that made the bike handle better and stop quicker.
All of the cheaper quotes on comparison sites would wet themselves as soon as you mentioned mods and wouldn't touch it.
I also went with Bennets in the end but for a supposedly bike specific insurer their agents no surprising little about bikes and mods.
Agreed. You'd think better brakes or handling would be a plus, not a minus. Also, they say they won't cover mods but aftermarket exhausts or levers for example tend to be cheaper than OEM. Crazy logic!
Old 24-02-17, 10:26 PM   #27
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I totally agree with the last two posts.In some cases we spend money to make the machines better,not faster and they penalize.Bah,Humbug
Old 24-02-17, 10:30 PM   #28
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
What mods do you have?

I'm an older rider with full no claims and not in a big-ish city either(10/15 mins to Motorcycle heaven)

All I have fitted so far are a small Windshield,Front Fender extender,LED rear brake tail lights,Cheap hand-guards and a none specific Alarm.
I don't think I have many but from the perspective of insurance declarations ....
After market exhaust; tail tidy; mini indicators; crash bungs; adjustable brake and clutch levers; Renthal bars; bar end mirrors; rear hugger; fender extender; custom rear shock; fork springs and emulators; belly pan; tank pad (Bennetts class it as a mod)
Old 24-02-17, 10:48 PM   #29
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
I don't think I have many but from the perspective of insurance declarations ....
After market exhaust; tail tidy; mini indicators; crash bungs; adjustable brake and clutch levers; Renthal bars; bar end mirrors; rear hugger; fender extender; custom rear shock; fork springs and emulators; belly pan; tank pad (Bennetts class it as a mod)
I assume you were in contact by phone and not just internet?
Old 24-02-17, 11:02 PM   #30
yokohama

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I assume you were in contact by phone and not just internet?
Yep. Phone up and declare them all.