SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-05-05, 09:46 PM   #1
TrojanHorse11

Default How do you go fast?

Yes I know, an seemingly stupid question to ask as a so called "biker" on a bike forum, (and I know a lot of you will be laughing your heads off reading this - or feeling sorry for me), but believe it or not, I just cannot go above 60 mph even on a totally straight dual carriageway. The blustery wind just feels like it's going to make me lose control or jolt the handlebars or the tyres are going to lose their grip or I'm gonna lose it on a rut in the road (some of them scare the crap out of me!).......

Also I can't turn - If I'm doing 60 mph on an A-road and a SLIGHT bend approaches, I panic. Off goes the throttle, reduce speed, possibly even a bit of brake(!)......

Today I was out and there were R6's, Bandits, etc etc all speedily enjoying the fruits of their bike's performance. And there's me plodding along scratching my head thinking "how do they do it"?

I don't know if it's my bike: naked GS500. I think you have to find your "perfect partner" as Auto-Trader would put it. I tried a Z750S a few weeks back and I couldn't beleive I felt more at home on that than on my GS, bearing in mind this was a bike I'd never ridden in my life. Within less than an hour, I was cornering better and going faster than I ever can on my own GS (which I've had for over a year)

]
Old 10-05-05, 09:56 PM   #2
adam

lay off the weed?
Old 10-05-05, 10:05 PM   #3
Cloggsy

Default Re: How do you go fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse11
Today I was out and there were R6's, Bandits, etc etc all speedily enjoying the fruits of their bike's performance. And there's me plodding along scratching my head thinking "how do they do it"?
You might of missed it while you were doing your rider training (easily done,) but the thing you grab with your right hand... If you rotate it towards your body, it makes the engine increase in speed... This used in conjunction with the gaerbox has a tendancy to make the bike & indeed the rider travel faster along the road...

Please take this in the manner it was written - no offence intended

Seriously, you sound like you could do with some advanced training (i.e. IAM training etc.) Maybe even a 'Bikesafe' training day Well worth the money so I understand...

Mind you, one things for sure, going along at 60, you aren't going to set off any cameras etc (unless you're in a 30 zone )
Old 10-05-05, 10:11 PM   #4
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse11
Also I can't turn - If I'm doing 60 mph on an A-road and a SLIGHT bend approaches, I panic. Off goes the throttle, reduce speed, possibly even a bit of brake(!)......

Its called countersteering. Its the weirdest concept when explained to me but increased my speed round corners on the 125 from 15mph to 30+mph.

If you want to go left, push the left handlebar to the right. If you want to go right, push the right handlebar to the left. The bike then leans into the corner and you can do it at speed. Something to do slowly at first and then gradually increase your speed. Always make sure youre slow in so you dont bin it by going in too fast. Trust the bike it will handle it unless youre too fast.
Old 10-05-05, 10:15 PM   #5
Shooter

How long have you been riding ?

You may need to relax a bit and trust your machine more but at least you know your limits currently. That may be a good thing ...but also may need looking at because you need a certain amount of confidence to be safe when riding. A nervous disposition could distract you when you most need to be right on your ride and technique.

Relax your body and ease your mind but take some lessons and read up on some of the great riding books available
Old 10-05-05, 10:25 PM   #6
Muttley

The more miles you get on the clock the more at ease you will feel riding the bike, unless you are becoming a danger to yourself and others around you don't be too concerned with how fast you are travelling, it's not a race (honestly officer ), trying to keep up with faster riders can often end up in an accident.

When I started it felt like I was being blown off the bike at 30 mph, then after a while 40 felt slow, now 60 feels very pedestrian. The more you get used to speeds the more comfortable you will feel on the bike. (It's the same with driving a car)
Old 10-05-05, 10:30 PM   #7
ophic
Mega Poster

i can't say i've ever had the problem to the extent that you have, but i can see where you're coming from. Gimme a nice straight road and i'll go as fast as you like (or i iike :P ) but i do have a lack of confidence cornering. Doesn't help that i've lost the back end many times on cold tyres
Old 10-05-05, 10:40 PM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic
Doesn't help that i've lost the back end many times on cold tyres
Those standard Dunlops don't help either fella
Old 10-05-05, 11:42 PM   #9
Junior

Until you feel comfortable going faster, I suggest sticking to 60 mph. Taking verbal advice on how to go faster when you are obviously not ready for it will result in an accident. Oh yeah, and maybe develop a bit more genital fortitude. (JK )
Old 10-05-05, 11:49 PM   #10
Anonymous

Mr T-Horse, sorry to sound like a lecturing know-all, but I feel really strongly about this....

The main objective of riding-out is NOT how fast you go, but returning home in one piece with a smile on your face. Is there ANY point coming home miserable, or in an ambulance? Or not coming back at all? One thing's for sure: switching to an R1 or Gixxer or Big Zed won't make a poor rider better....but it'll certainly get them into bigger trouble, faster.

Since your GS500 can't be all that new, do you know that it's in good condition? Forks and rear shocks in good order? Tyres pumped up right and their profile not squared-off? Swing arm bearings snug, and head races not rattling about? All these things can make the bike feel bad (and you too) so get them checked.

Then, if you still feel unsafe, either stop riding or go get PROPER training. NOT to do so places a big burden on those who are likely to have to scrape you up and stick you back together (or not) when you overcook it somewhere.

For twenty years I've been skiing. I knew from the off that I would never be Alberto Tomba - and I hate Black runs. So I don't do them. I've had lessons so that I can handle all the Blues and Reds I want, at the speed I want and without endangering those around me. And I still enjoy it as much now as ever I did.....it wouldn't be improved if I bought a Nevica sealskin spray-on lycra suit and the latest Salomon Rad Carvers with Titanium bindings and Nuclear Fission wax - and you shouldn't think you'll turn into Valentino Rossi just by getting a damn big sports bike.