SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-06-16, 07:44 AM   #1
tom_e

Default Shift lever setup

I've installed a new shift lever and the gear shift arm that attaches to the shaft going into the engine and since then I can't seem to quite get the angles right to get a decent shift.

I had another play last night but this morning on my way to work when I was trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd even though I was getting the clunk it seemed to be dropping back to N then shifting back up to 2nd so I hadn't actually gotten anywhere.

Is there a recommended angle for the shift arm to be attached to the shaft? As I imagine this is going to be the main thing that'll need adjusting then I can raise and lower the lever using the rod to where it's comfortable.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 08:52 AM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shift lever setup

Should just be vertical on the shift shaft, then adjust the link rod to get the pedal in a comfortable place
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 12:28 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

the most common problem is not moving your foot out the way after a shift. this puts a little pressure on the shifter which gives false neutrals. after each shift flick your toes out sideways or fully drop your toes.

your shifter peg should be in a position so your toes are not resting on the shifter peg when your foot is on the footpeg. same goes for your rear brake pedal.

as johnny said adjust the lever on the shaft then use the adjuster rod for comfort.

once you have it in the right position get a punch and pop a mark on the shaft at the slit on the lever that way if you take it off you know where to put it back in the future.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 12:44 PM   #4
tom_e

Cheers guys, the arm is already at 90 degrees pretty much to the shaft as I had something in the back of my mind telling me I'd seen that somewhere so I just need to do some trial and error setting up the rod.

I did have it set up perfectly before my mate reversed into me a mullered it, it's just annoying because a deliberate shift when I'm sat on it in the garden after adjusting it is obviously rather different than my quick flick up as I'm riding.
tom_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-16, 06:04 PM   #5
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Make sure the foot lever isn't too high up, as you say it's easy to shift down but not so easy to shift up. It should sit just above your toe, not much higher.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote