SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 24-10-06, 08:40 PM   #1
svrash

Default Track day virgin - your advice please

So I've only gone and signed up for my first track day

What should i do to prepare?

Your valued advice please
Old 24-10-06, 08:43 PM   #2
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Relax, it's a motorbike and a bit of road, you do this everyday.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-06, 09:32 PM   #3
weazelz

relax & enjoy
Old 24-10-06, 10:37 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Do try not to break it...

If I was you, I'd leave my lowers in the shed... No particular need to leave fragile expensive bits attached to it. Do you have crash bungs? That's good cheap insurance, meant I could ride home after a 70mph ****-up at Knockhill... And staying with the pessimistic approach, a spare pair of front levers is a nice thing to have. I've got a complete set of rashed up fairings which I fit, just because I'd feel like such a k*** if I didn't and I binned it.

Don't race yourself. That's what I did, it's obviously stupid but it's very easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment... And that's about it. Listen to the briefing, then get on with it Don't get close to the other idiots, they're all paying £100 to go and ride their own expensive motorbikes around a racetrack designed for professionals- the fools! Anyone who'd do that sort of thing is obviously wrong in the head and should be given a wide berth
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-06, 07:40 AM   #5
tricky

Did my first one a few weeks ago, I was ****ting myself beforehand.

But like Mr Squid said, at the end of the day its a road and a motorbike.
In fact its better than that, there are no manholes, mud from tractors, cars, vans etc

Just relax, take it steady to start with and go at your own pace.

I thought I would be so slow I would need a man with a red flag walking in front of me, but by about the third session I was overtaking sportsbikes.
Old 25-10-06, 08:13 AM   #6
K

Just be there for yourself and your own enjoyment - make a point of having the biggest smile at the end of the day rather than the fastest time.

I did my first track day with Suzuki Race School as I didn't want to use my own bike - so can't really advise. Though pessimistic, Northy's advice is also very realistic. Strip what you can from your bike and carry some basic spares if you can - just aim not to use them.
Old 25-10-06, 08:48 AM   #7
thor

I'm not sure you'll need spares, but having a back up plan if you bin it might be a good idea.

Otherwise, get the bike in trim. Do all the adjustments, checks etc. Oil, chain, levers, make sure it's all nice and tight and running well.

Make sure you've got all the gear and are used to wearing it.

Get a roll of duck tape and learn how to switch off the lights (if you have a pointy) using the fuses. Learn how to remove the mirrors.

Finally, make sure you have ok tyres. They are the most important bits of the bike! Find out what the recommended track pressures are. They'll probably have a compressor there so you can pump them up again after. Decent road tyres are more then fine, don't bother with race or ultra sporty tyres.

Once on the track, take time to learn it. Build up your speed session by session. Don't go balls out straight away, and relax. Your unlikely to injure yourself if anything goes wrong, because your on a track with good runoffs, no obstacles, marshalls and you're wearing all the gear.

Enjoy!
Old 25-10-06, 09:11 AM   #8
tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor
Find out what the recommended track pressures are. They'll probably have a compressor there so you can pump them up again after.
Good point and something I'd not thought of beforehand

Focused Events who I did mine with had a tire man to advise on pressures and even adjust them for you.
Old 25-10-06, 09:23 AM   #9
Tim in Belgium

Also take the first session steady (be tempted to stay in one gear 3rd or 4th, especially if there is no obligatory pace laps) as it'll take a while to learn where the circuit goes, turning in points etc.

As for tyre pressures, mirrors etc, probably good advice but I've always left my mirrors as they are (couldn't be bothered to tape them in), and have done two track days at standard pressures on pirelli diablo stradas, and two track days with slightly reduced pressures, couldn't tell the difference at my basic track level.

Make sure you're fully hydrated, probably less of an issue during winter, and eat some food.

Most of all have fun, and try and relax when you get out on track.

Have a great day, what track are you off to?
Old 25-10-06, 09:27 AM   #10
thor

That's a good point. Take refreshments!

Taking mirrors off is preferable to taping or turning in, as it's one less thing to break if you fall off and it's easy (well on the pointy it is, dunno about other bikes).

Both track days I've been on had a tyres guy.