SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 26-06-17, 03:28 PM   #1
Mega Poster

Default GSXR front end finished

Well it was a weirdly long road to get here (mainly due to waiting on parts, brackets etc) but it's finally done. A few tweeks are needed here and there but I'll iron these out over time.

I'm really happy with the looks and the handling so far, I've not really pushed it due to wanting to make sure I don't send my pride and joy down the road, so baby steps!

Front end: Complete k3/k4 GSXR1000 (forks, triples)
Front wheel: SV1000
Discs: 298mm GSXR1000 (you'll find these on various 750's as well)
Top yoke: http://topyoke.uk (I'd only recommend this guy if you're VERY patient and can take his belligerent responses when you complain about a 48 hour turn around turning into 3 months)
Handlebars: Stock SV1000N at the moment. Intend to change these at some point
Calipers: R6 Monobloc (milled down 7mm to center the pads on the discs)
Master Cylinder: F4i (intend to get a Brembo unit from a Ducati 696 or maybe splash out on an RCS effort, but want to retain the coffin look)

Other than changing the bearings to tapered, this wasn't actually a difficult job at all. If I had ALL the bits I needed, I'd have had this completed in a few hours.

Pics before:

Pics after:

Things to fix:

Fork alignment, forgot to do this in the rush to get it all nipped up yesterday afternoon/evening
Clock: Brackets work well but there's a bit of flex so they bang off the light over bumps. Thinking either a simple bit of foam to take the impact or get a friend to machine a one off bracket to hold it firmly, removing the standard bracket the N clocks come with.
Master cylinder: Too wooden...Brembo from a Ducati Monster 696 is a possibility, needs to be 16mm to suit the R6 calipers.
Pads: Expensive race efforts...take too much heat to really bite, so will go with Yamaha OEM or maybe something else, will do my research.

If anyone likes, I can write up a details how-to guide. There seems to be a lot of guides about but not many which go into granular detail.

Last edited by 650; 29-06-17 at 08:10 AM.
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 03:47 PM   #2
SheepShagger

Default Re: GSXR front end finished

Looks very nice, why did you go to all that aggro for a top yoke though, was none of the oem options any good? Also the discs seem small if going to all that trouble too. Not trying to detract, just curious.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 03:56 PM   #3
Mega Poster

Wanted to keep the bar risers, not got any interest in clip ons and ZERO interest in drilling a standard GSXR top yoke, they're about 10mm thick at the only suitable place to drill. Plus it looks trick and was hardly a massive expense.

Discs...easiest option, I got the R6 calipers machined for a tenner. It'd cost me at least £35-£40 to buy proper spacers (I know I can buy generic ones but would rather do all this right)

I can always buy spacers for the calipers and bigger discs at a later date if I decide to track it, but right now it's fine - I'm no Rossi so I don't need hit-a-wall braking power while I'm pootling about in London.

However, I DEFINITELY want more feel so I'll get a better master cylinder if I can't do anything with the F4i one. The standard R6 discs are only 310mm anyway, so it's not like I'm losing out maaaaaaaaaassively.

But all very valid points

Last edited by 650; 26-06-17 at 03:58 PM.
650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 07:03 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

Matt would have made you an OEM frankenyoke if you had asked, this lets you use the naked clocks bracket and is the same style as the OEM yoke (with the V cut out).

brake pads, DP pads are superb, nice initial bite but loads of feel. i use DP pads with radial callipers and a bandit 1250 MC and it has loads of stopping power.

looking good
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 07:20 PM   #5
DougieG

Looks very nice! I have some k9 750 forks ready to go in! Does the triple clamp just slit straight in? Cheers

DougieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-17, 07:46 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougieG View Post
Looks very nice! I have some k9 750 forks ready to go in! Does the triple clamp just slit straight in? Cheers

depends on what bottom yoke you have.
Old 26-06-17, 07:52 PM   #7
DougieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
depends on what bottom yoke you have.
I have the full front end off the gsxr to hopefully just slip in?

Old 26-06-17, 07:57 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes but you will loose the steering lock with the K9 top yoke as its the opposite side to the SV.
Old 26-06-17, 08:04 PM   #9
DougieG

Good news and I was wondering what the other side top yoke would mean! Any top yokes I could swap for to keep the lock do you know?

Old 26-06-17, 08:17 PM   #10
Bibio
Mega Poster

dont know what the fork centres are or the stem thread size is.

if you have the parts and a set of verniers then you can help fill in the missing information. i will guide you through it. even a measuring tape will do at a push.