SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-08-11, 05:10 PM   #1
Dunn-y

Default Help please... possible CCT problem

Yet again something has come up that is going to stop me from buying new gear Today, on my way back from Hein Gericke, I started to hear a sort of slapping/loose chain noise coming from the front cyclinder somewhere. I also have a very slight rattling noise coming from the Clutch, it disappears when the clutch lever is held in but can be quite hard to hear over the top of the other noise. Now before I go buying new CCTs is there anyone around the Killingworth area that could check it out who has either had this probalem before or knows what it sounds like. I will try to get a video up tomorrow to see if you can hear it. I would prefer to do the work myself so that I get to know the bike better rather than get a garage to do it but dont know what to do.

I would really appreciate any help with this and im sure i can find some extra beer money for whoever helps me out here. Thanks.

Reece

Edit: Might aswell post this here instead making a new thread, I would have changed the title if i could. Anyway, the day before I had new bearings and sprocket fitted I adjusted my chain to what I thought was beteween 20 - 30mm, but at the garage the mechanic siaid is was way too slack, so now its adjusted to how he says it should be, but I swear the gear changes were alot smoother when it was the way I had it before he adjusted it. Im just a little confused over this so I would like to get a second opinion on my chain slack, I think its too tight at the moment. Sorry about piggybacking this question in this thread but I couldnt change the title and didnt want to make a new one just to ask if someone could double check my chain slack. Thanks again.

Last edited by Dunn-y; 03-08-11 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 07:05 PM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Help please... possible CCT problem

Are you round tomorrow night or earlyish Friday morning as I'm 20 mins away.

the chain should be between 20 and 30mm. any tighter and it has the potential to stretch and upset the gearbox

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 07:44 PM   #3
Dunn-y

I'm around all day tomorrow but I'm busy all day Friday. I have noticed that the gear changes are more clunky but adjusting the chain is an easy job once I know the slack, just confused over how everyone else said its too slack when I thought it was fine, it made the gear changes alot smoother anyway.

Its the CCTs im quite worried about, dont have a clue how to check them or change them and dont trust myself to be honest, not when ive never done it before anyway. I always heard a ticking sound but this is louder so got me worried, and its not the same sound either. Just my luck eh, looking forward to getting new gear and now this.
Old 03-08-11, 08:02 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Chain slack is a bit of preference and bike set-up tbh.
Mine runs 25 to 35-40 slack as the shocks different and 1mm longer.

Has the bike had a good length run in the last 4-8 weeks?
As its potentially the oil needs to be heat cycled. Also when was it last serviced?

Also to be noted (as a good few mechanics have said to me) the fromt CCT isn't constantly (or rarely) in a bath of oil, whereas the rear one is

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
Old 03-08-11, 08:36 PM   #5
Dunn-y

If i'm measuring it correctly I think my chain slack is about 15mm.

Not sure what you mean by "good length run in it" If you mean disrtance ridden then about 1500 miles if that. Changed the OIl and Filter about 2000 miles ago. Going by the service manual, the last service was done at 14500 miles in 2006! Only just noticed when that was done. Its now on 24200 miles and has never missed a beat. Had a faulty R/R which has been fixed and could do with a Carb synch but other than that it been good. Ive been doing bits and pieces as ive gone and was planning on getting it properly serviced beginning of next year along with getting it de-restricted.
Old 03-08-11, 08:45 PM   #6
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

What I meant is, have all the journeys been 5 or 6 miles or are they 50 and 60 mile runs?

Old 03-08-11, 09:25 PM   #7
Dunn-y

Most have been like 10 - 20 mile runs lately. Im on a limited annual mileage with my insurnace, which is due end of month, and only have 190 miles until I go over the limit so ive kept my riding down to a minimum.
Old 03-08-11, 09:29 PM   #8
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

fair enuf.

Sounds like the oil needs to be heat cycled.
If your still concerned PM me your mobile in the morning and I'll give it a listen

Old 03-08-11, 10:03 PM   #9
Dunn-y

Cheers mate. If it still makes the noise tomorrow I'll PM you my number, although I could do with someone checking my chain slack. Don't worry about my mileage, I only done 200 last month and that was with a couple of quick rideouts.

Oh, I'm ECH0. Made a new account as I couldn't stand the name ECH0, but it's still me, and I just found out how big a mistake I made.

Last edited by Dunn-y; 03-08-11 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-08-11, 10:35 PM   #10
Dunn-y

Just to confirm that that is my new account, however I now wish I chose a different name.