SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-12-11, 07:53 AM   #51
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: How many of you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Seems in example you give, that weight to the old school tie is perfectly justified.
+1

My degree is from a ex poly (northumbria), which is one of the top 5 in the uk in my field

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-11, 01:18 PM   #52
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

I went to Brighton Poly when it was still Brighton Poly. My four year sandwich degree gave me a year out at work as part of my studies and meant I had a leg up on the red-brick uni graduates when I finished. Bizarely I ended up working for a company we had done a project on and so salied through the interviews as I knew so much about them.

Would I do it again? Probably yes. 80's degrees were pretty hard work and I have no idea about current standards. Didn't have many lectures in my final year but the reading and assignments we had to do kept us all too busy for any kind of social life...
Old 13-12-11, 09:56 PM   #53
myfirstsv

BSc Economics - no use whatsoever flogging Telecoms.

Plus side, there were no fees when I did it and you got a grant for living and dole in the holidays as well.

Downside, I've got twin sons who will be going to Uni next year and I'm wondering where I'm going to find the £100k or so to fund it....rather than saddle them with a old of student debt before they have even started life
Old 14-12-11, 12:07 AM   #54
Cazza

Yes - partly. And yes - definitely.

Career #1 (working in radio for 10 years) followed a cultural studies / media degree. However, it was the practical skills that I learnt; the work experience (both 'official' and in my own holiday time); and the industry people I got to know during that time that helped to secure me my first job. The finer points of cultural theory are a long distant memory!

Career # 2 (massage therapist for the last 6 years) followed on from doing an anatomy, physiology and massage qualification - I wouldn't be able to get my professional association membership and public liability insurance without it. Plus, like others who've mentioned the practical / vocational jobs they do, I most definitely couldn't do this job without having learnt what I did during my initial course.

I don't envy any young people nowadays trying to decide whether to go to Uni and / or trying to find employment. When I started out in the media in the mid 90s it was competitive - I suspect nowadays it's nigh on impossible.
Old 14-12-11, 07:09 AM   #55
keith_d
Mega Poster

Degree in Chemistry.

Jobs:

Laboratory Robotics (yes)
Laboratory Automation (yes)
Oil Economics Software (no)
Data Storage Geek (no)

So I started off in work related to my degree but ended up in IT because the money was better.

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-11, 08:57 AM   #56
Quedos

Degree - BA(Hons) Hospitality Management

initial Career - pub manager - and yes required a degree for the graduate programme. I helped myself by completing my thesis of the pub industry. (i could legitimately spend all day in the pub in the name of research).

Self employed- mobile bar owner - yes the degree gave the broad basis for all I needed

CSA - only the parts of how to deals with PV people and the ability to listen

Local authority - CSO - not really
Project manager - only partially but I'm working my way onto a project and event management degrees courses
Old 14-12-11, 05:29 PM   #57
DJFridge

Nope. A degree in Civil Engineering and I now do sales and IT stuff, all of which I have learned on the job. Don't regret having done the degree though - Uni was a fantastic experience for the most part
Old 14-12-11, 06:03 PM   #58
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I have a Psychology degree and postgrad qualifications; I teach Psychology. I couldn't teach without a degree.

But I also have a qual in furniture making, which I achieved before going to Uni at 23. I've only used that a few times for home DIY

Last edited by Messie; 14-12-11 at 07:46 PM.
Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-11, 06:17 PM   #59
Lozzo

My formal qualifications are useless in my current job. You don't need to know about electrical maintenance to full C+G level to manage a motorbike dealership.

As soon as I completed my apprenticeship I left my job and never did any electrical work ever again. I even call a sparky out to do anything around my own house - I'm crap at it.
Old 14-12-11, 07:24 PM   #60
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
I have a Psychology degree and postgrad qualifications; I teach Psychology. I couldn't teach withou a degree.

But I aslo have a qual in furniture making, which I achieved before going to Uni at 23. I've only used that a few times for home DIY
I kind of understand why it's a requirement as I suppose it's to encourage people with an understanding of the value of education...but why do they make it so hard to get into teaching when there are more accessible profitable career options? I'm sure a bit back they were lacking teachers.

Last edited by Dave20046; 14-12-11 at 07:25 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote