SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-01-12, 09:39 AM   #1
SUPERSTARDJ01

Default Am i too old to retrain?

Hi all,

I've been in IT for 4yrs and have lost all drive and interest in learning more about IT, I've not been able to retrain sooner because of our young children, now my wife is going to be retraining I have to change my hours to part time work, so I maybe able to retrain, I want to do something more labour intensive like motor mechanics, but have been a bit discouraged by the local collage syaing I'm too old

Oh yeah in 34.
Old 27-01-12, 09:51 AM   #2
Tom_the_great

Default Re: Am i too old to retrain?

IMO your not too old to retrain, the problem is you are going to be battling for jobs with kids that are younger fresh out of collage etc/ the latest tech ie robots so jobs are less likly and also your wage unless you can afford to go back to basic which is what they can pay some of the younger workers.

Black Tinted Screen!, Evotech Tail Tidy!, OEM Rear Hugger!, R&G Crash Bungs!, Delkevic Exhuast!

Current Mileage = 3000 (Ish)
Tom_the_great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 12:15 PM   #3
Icanopit

NEVER too old to retrain/learn additional skills.
Prior to retireing I took on training in 2 new skills between 60 - 62, then in the last 3 years of employement as an already qualified trainer/trainer was able to pass on "hopefully" my skills/trade to the benifit of others.
Yes it's tough out there but I believe that LIFE SKILLS are being valued greater now than in recent years.

Go for it and use your spare time constructively and thumbs down to the college that said your too old, report them to the Education minister

JOHN
Old 27-01-12, 12:32 PM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

I'm in a similar situation mate. I'm 30, sick of IT, and currently trying to do something different. I would say you can get into almost anything else, but the difficulty is in the actual retraining part of the career change. You will struggle to get apprenticeships because generally they are aimed at younguns who will take £10-£12k / year and can be more easily moulded than you. You're overqualified for that kind of thing.

What I'm trying to do is use my qualifications to move me into another sector that will value my experience, but still give me completely different work. So something that has a technical element, but could still be hands on. You'll still need to aim low and accept a pay cut while you learn the ropes.

As for manual/labour jobs, you really need to be sure about that. I've thought about being a mechanic before too, but have been put off by everyone I've spoken to about it. Plus, when I've worked on cars before, I actually find it quite frustrating. I do not get on with corroded bolts which is half the job really. Bikes are more fun to work on, but still, you have to really enjoy it as a hobby for it to be something you'll enjoy a bit as a career.

Here's a cool site with a really thorough list of career ideas and what they're all about, plus required qualifications. http://www.career-descriptions.co.uk...of-careers.htm

I think it's really important to at least get some satisfaction from your work, so I strongly believe you're making the right choice to try something else, but I would say your best bet is to try and find a job that utilizes some of your skill set but gives you something new and excited that more matches your personality.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 12:36 PM   #5
missyburd

You only live once, you've got to at least give it a go.

In my supposed field (conservation) with my degree I find many jobs are taken by others fancying a career change later on in life. Bank and retail managers especially, decide they want to do something completely different and end up taking jobs with the big conservation organisations easy as pie because of experience, regardless of what sector they've come from. As long as you are committed, why wouldn't you be able to retrain? So don't rule yourself out, and certainly don't do it because of age, you could be just what someone is looking for

Last edited by missyburd; 27-01-12 at 12:41 PM.
Old 27-01-12, 12:37 PM   #6
daveyrach

My uncle started to retrain as a gas engineer at 32, he's now a fully blown Gas Safe engineer and earns a massive wedge every month.
Old 27-01-12, 12:47 PM   #7
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Do you really want to be scratting round under motors when you're 54?

Retrain, sure, but something else
Old 27-01-12, 01:00 PM   #8
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSTARDJ01 View Post
Hi all,

I've been in IT for 4yrs and have lost all drive and interest in learning more about IT, I've not been able to retrain sooner because of our young children, now my wife is going to be retraining I have to change my hours to part time work, so I maybe able to retrain, I want to do something more labour intensive like motor mechanics, but have been a bit discouraged by the local collage syaing I'm too old

Oh yeah in 34.
Sounds like discrimination to me? What if you were too gay or too french?

Plumbing sounds like it could be a winner to be fair, as long as you don't mind getting your hands dirty, from replacing a leaking inlet valve on a toilet to fitting a new full bathroom suite (a plumber has just quoted my dad £2400 to supply and fit new toilet, sink and shower cubicle), plus it's in doors and as long as you don't rip people off/look after them well then you should be in for a roaring trade. Build it up for a while & get in there with some insurance companies for emergency jobs - bosch!

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 01:02 PM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

p.s. motor mechanic stuff sounds fun because it would be useful for your own vehicles, and admittedly I do get excited when my fuel/oil/air filter set arrives because I'm gonna get to work on the van... but then when you're underneath the van and some road crud has dropped in your eye again and some arssewhole has rounded off the sump nut - you do find yourself asking if you should even have bothered in the first place.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-12, 01:08 PM   #10
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Id suggest retraining as a banking executive.Ask Mr S Hester how to go about it.