SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-11-18, 12:11 PM   #31
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: the mood in your area

OK, putting political/social tensions aside, once we leave the dictatorial stranglehold of the EU (not my belief, but let's say that for argument's sake), what laws do you want repealed/changed?

I've had discussions with folk before about "that damned human rights act" (ECHR was not part of EU but why confuse reality with fact) and asked which of the dozen or more basic rights they'd want to get rid of? Freedom from slavery, freedom from the state unlawfully executing you?

Apart from some of the rather bonkers stuff regarding fishing quotas and similar, I'm really not sure what laws "imposed" on us by EU directive we would want rid of that we couldn't do ourselves anyway. Any suggestions?
I'm genuinely interested in understanding exactly what it is that folk expect or wish for that will affect our day to day lives.

Last edited by embee; 20-11-18 at 12:13 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 12:22 PM   #32
Bibio
Mega Poster

the problem is not what laws we would like to see its what laws that were put in place taken away. with nobody but the public watching over the government they will be free to do as they please...
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 12:45 PM   #33
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the problem is not what laws we would like to see its what laws that were put in place taken away. with nobody but the public watching over the government they will be free to do as they please...
That's the question I have about the desire to regain "sovereignty". What exactly do folk want that we haven't been able to do up to now? What laws do we have forced on us by the EU that should be got rid of? What laws should we have that the EU has prevented us from having? I don't have any answers, but folk cited sovereignty as a big thing and I'm just looking for one or two real life examples of what we hope for or want so I can understand where we are going.
Old 20-11-18, 01:44 PM   #34
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
OK, putting political/social tensions aside, once we leave the dictatorial stranglehold of the EU (not my belief, but let's say that for argument's sake), what laws do you want repealed/changed?

I've had discussions with folk before about "that damned human rights act" (ECHR was not part of EU but why confuse reality with fact) and asked which of the dozen or more basic rights they'd want to get rid of? Freedom from slavery, freedom from the state unlawfully executing you?
I think people want immigration changed. You know, those hard working foreigners taking our rightful English jobs and all that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Apart from some of the rather bonkers stuff regarding fishing quotas and similar...
I have genuine sympathy for the UK fishermen. But everything else about Brexit is utter madness.
Old 20-11-18, 01:54 PM   #35
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
you could say the same for the rest of us saying get rid of the English and move the border back to Hadrian's wall.

i'm pretty sure that if Scotland did make it with Independence then the north of England would think long and hard about joining Scotland.
I like this border better . From around 800, so post Roman. Sod the English and the Scots
[IMG][/IMG]
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria
Old 20-11-18, 02:06 PM   #36
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleoldman2 View Post
I like this border better . From around 800, so post Roman. Sod the English and the Scots
[IMG][/IMG]
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria
i like this idea very much but must include Fife. we could call it Northcannaeundersandawordland.
Old 20-11-18, 02:07 PM   #37
Talking Heads

The rich elites are pushing hard for Brexit because of this: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...e-directive_en

The rich elites own the government, the BBC, the print media and use it to bombard the masses with their hateful lies and propaganda.

We're being lied to and unfortunately far too many are swallowing it all up.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 02:32 PM   #38
SV650rules
Mega Poster

https://www.brexbot.com/2018/11/19/t...s-conventions/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-18, 02:35 PM   #39
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
A lot of truth in that but ultimately there is no other credible choice. Independents are unlikely to make a difference as the established parties will likely ignore them and even with the best will and intentions a single councillor/MP will not be able to change anything. Marginal parties may have a slightly better chance with their comparatively larger size but most have a single agenda and are unlikely to be able to cope with the rest of the daily and long-term requirements of governing.

In an ideal world you would have a coalition of parties each looking after their key areas but as we've seen in other countries where this is the norm getting agreements to start with is often impossible (look at Belgium) and it only takes one of the parties to lose some ground or traction and the coalition falls apart or argues about who should be in charge of what (Germany). The Con/Lib coalition we had a few years ago was fraught with disagreements and we're doomed if single parties cannot stop in-fighting.

That sounds so depressing now I've read that back...
Here is what I would propose for a government. It’s a lot more complicated but the basics are.

Get rid of political parties. We don’t need them and their antiquated school tie ways.

Each constituency has representatives. The public would vote on who they like and the winner becomes that constituency CD (Constituency Director)

Each region has representatives out with the CD members. The public would vote on who they like and the winner becomes that region RO (Regional Organiser)

The whole country has a number of representatives out with the CD and RO members. The public would vote on who they like and the winners become the country’s main head figures e.g. PMND (Prime Ministerial Nation Director), FND (Financial Nation Director) so on and so on.

The CD are the people at the front line who the public guide in what they would like done. All the CD of a region report back to the RO who then contacts the appropriate “Nation Director” for the funding.

Not having political parties people would have to vote on track record and who they actually want to do the jobs.

Basically every single role in the proposed new government is voted in by the people via a majority. You cant get fairer than that.

Get rid of the Lords… hangeroner inbred azzwipes who think they are better than the public as they have titles. Instead have a jury of public to decide on if laws and such should pass. After all the laws are to govern the people so why should the people not have a say on whats good or not for them.
Old 20-11-18, 02:39 PM   #40
ophic
Mega Poster

Great idea but you'd just end up with secret agreements between groups of CDs aka parties, but no longer up front.

Overviews are easy - it's the actual implementation details where most sensible suggestions fall down. Brexit included.