SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-09-06, 01:58 PM   #1
CheekyLemon

Default Miles per tank

Quick question, on average, how many miles per tank do you guys get?

Do you use any particular kind of petrol? (Higher octane etc).

I have a new bike, and wondered if the fuel consumption would improve decline after bedding in.

I understand this would be affected by the type of riding you do, so any comments would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-06, 02:05 PM   #2
Baph

Just shy of 2200miles on my clock, and I normally get around 140miles and then the light comes on. I'll ride like this for a good 20-30 miles. So total would be around 160miles per tank I suppose.

I'm looking into a DB to improve fuel use, but it's only now the prices have started to come down that I'm using Optimax/V-Power etc instead of regular unleaded. It does give a slight performance increase, mainly accelleration. If I am getting a DB it'll prolly be the end of the month when I order it, as thats when I know how much cash I have surplus to requirements.

Edit in response to creamybutter's city riding comment: My commute works out at an average speed of 60mph as it takes me just under an hour to go 50miles.
Old 05-09-06, 02:05 PM   #3
creamerybutter

I get about 110 before the light comes on and I usually fill up soon after but I do all city riding. Normal unleaded.
Old 05-09-06, 02:11 PM   #4
Stormspiel

99 naked, 27400 ish miles. I get 90 miles to the flash then just after 110 it goes solid. My bikes due the carbs setting up though as it's running very rich and pongs of petrol

And i ride rather rapidly most places
Old 05-09-06, 02:12 PM   #5
CheekyLemon

Yeah I had a read of the DB thread. I have a naked Bandit, so it's very open and windy!

Was thinking about using a better fuel, and maybe using my gears a little better. I think I am stuck in my car ways, and usually change down too far when cornering and using roundabouts.

On a seperate note, (yep, I am SUCH a newbie!) does anyone count their gears? I find I forget what gear I'm in and always try and find 7th! (Then change down too far when pulling out of a junction without stopping).
Old 05-09-06, 02:19 PM   #6
Baph

On the gears issue, I used to when I was getting used to the bike. Now my brain works in the same manner as the gear indicators you can buy. I go by road speed & revs.

I also find that riding like this, it gets my mind out of the car habbit, which I too suffered from, and more to the way I think I should be riding.

If my thinking is right, and you're like every other bandit rider I've seen (a bandit parks next to my SV everyday) you may be riding at higher revs than I do anyway, so that will use more juice.
Old 05-09-06, 02:28 PM   #7
CheekyLemon

Cheers chaps!

I'm already getting better on the bike (I think) so I should leave the car habits behind soon also!

It's quite scary at first this biking lark eh!?
Old 05-09-06, 02:32 PM   #8
Grinch

have a look at this...

http://bikersview.blogspot.com/

I did a little test a few months ago... details of it are on that blog.
Old 05-09-06, 02:42 PM   #9
Mr Toad

When I had the 650 (naked k5 with de-baffled Scorpion can) I used to get 43 mpg around London
When running it in I managed to get 62mpg, but never anywhere near that afterwards

I ran it completely dry so it conked out (twice ) , and both times only ever managed to get 14.2 litres in the tank, and that was holding the bike upright not on the sidestand, so I don't believe Mr Suzuki when he says the tank holds 17 litres

On the SV1000 I'm averaging 50mpg - thats on a 100 mile a day mostly Motorway (M25/M40/A3) commute

I've seen 157 miles out of a tankful, but reckon that was pretty close
Low fuel light usually comes on around 130 these days
Old 05-09-06, 02:52 PM   #10
Grinch

Just for your info I've had all my carbs cleaned and rebalanced and I know can get a extra 10 miles from a tank. So on a good day I can go 150 miles before the fuel light starts flashing. Then it works out as about 20 miles till it goes solild and another 20 ish before she koncs out. Putting in 15.8 litres and filling to the 'first' rim of the petrol cap.

And as you may have guessed from the carb coment she's a old curvy, so injected is not alway more fuel efficent. It all a matter of clean serviced bike and a light right wrist.