SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-05-19, 01:07 PM   #1
daktulos

Question Annual SV sales cycles

I've started commuting by bike, and currently saving a lot of money which I'm not paying to Thameslink (which makes me incredibly happy).

While I'm fine with my 19 year-old curvy at the moment, but I'm aware that it's not in the best condition and may need some expensive servicing or repairs at some point. I would also like ABS. Assuming I don't lose my job, I'm likely to upgrade in something like 6-18 months' time, almost certainly to a AL9 or a AM0(?) as I can't afford a Triumph! (As an aside, now they're all ABS, can we just say M0?)

So, as I'm in no particular rush to buy, my questions are: when does Suzuki normally announce new models? Is there a good time to buy (e.g. with decent "get moving" discounts)? Do dealers have incentives for new or old number plates any more? Should I be considering a Striple?

Ta!
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 02:06 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Annual SV sales cycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
Should I be considering a Striple?
Is fuel economy a factor? My 2012 675 triple gave me a best ever 52mpg, my AL7 has given me a best ever of 86mpg and routinely gives me 80mpg. The 2013 onwards triples were 5-10% more economical. I have no idea about the 765. The triple was more comfortable than the SV and felt like a bigger bike, its acceleration was intoxicating. The 675 triple engine kicks out a lot of heat at low speeds, if you're going second hand, look for an "R" (black forks on a 675), the suspension on a standard 675 wasn't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
As an aside, now they're all ABS, can we just say M0?)
Not sure what this means. I have a 2016 AL7, I thought that A meant ABS and L7 was the model year. Some countries outside the EU offer the SV without ABS
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 03:20 PM   #3
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Is fuel economy a factor? My 2012 675 triple gave me a best ever 52mpg, my AL7 has given me a best ever of 86mpg and routinely gives me 80mpg. The 2013 onwards triples were 5-10% more economical. I have no idea about the 765. The triple was more comfortable than the SV and felt like a bigger bike, its acceleration was intoxicating. The 675 triple engine kicks out a lot of heat at low speeds, if you're going second hand, look for an "R" (black forks on a 675), the suspension on a standard 675 wasn't great.
Fuel economy is a factor, I'm currently getting an average of 51 mpg on my commute and I'd rather not get less, so it's good to know.

I have to say, I like the single headlight look of the SV more than the triple and there are no bikes in the class (e.g. RE GT650, MT-07, K650, CB650R, V-Strom) which come close, the SV does get such a lot right.

I'm 90% sure I'd get another SV, but I may go for a test ride on a triple and change my mind.
Quote:
Not sure what this means. I have a 2016 AL7, I thought that A meant ABS and L7 was the model year. Some countries outside the EU offer the SV without ABS
Fair point, my thinking was fairly euro-centric.
Old 20-05-19, 04:49 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

51 mpg seems a bit low unless you're a fast rider, I've had 2 curvies, one new, one older both "S" models, each gave about 60-65 mpg. I'm a ̶l̶e̶i̶s̶u̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ slow rider which might account for the difference.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 05:57 PM   #5
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
51 mpg seems a bit low unless you're a fast rider, I've had 2 curvies, one new, one older both "S" models, each gave about 60-65 mpg. I'm a ̶l̶e̶i̶s̶u̶r̶e̶l̶y̶ slow rider which might account for the difference.
I have a 23 mile commute, 13 of which are motorway. It takes (so far) 44-59 minutes depending on traffic, so there's a lot of stop-start involved. I'm not too unhappy with it, and when comparing new bikes I'll just assume they all exaggerate by the same amount.
Old 20-05-19, 07:02 PM   #6
yokohama

I can only speak from personal experience but early in the year seems to be a good time to buy. Dealers getting rid of old stock, the number plate change coming up in March and making space for the new season's models. I'm not sure whether there would be much discount on Triumphs though. They tend to sell themselves.
Ebay is a good place to look. Search for a bike, filter for 'new' and work down from the high prices. Pre-registered models on older plates or with delivery mileage can be found at discounted prices.

Last edited by yokohama; 20-05-19 at 07:10 PM.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 07:05 PM   #7
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

If money is tight I wouldn't bother with a new bike. Get one a couple of years old with low miles.

New bikes are only new for a week or so, then it'll look the same as the second hand one
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 07:38 PM   #8
Craig380
Mega Poster

+1 to what Darren said. Lots of 2017 / 2018 models on the market with less than 5,000 miles up, and with the balance of Suzuki's current 3-year warranty.

In April I bought my bog-standard AL7 from a local Suzi dealer, it was their demo bike. 18 months old, 1,600 miles with full refresh service (oil / filter / brake bleed etc) done before sale for £4,250 with 18 months factory warranty remaining. It has a couple of tarnished fasteners from usage but you have to be less than 2 feet away to spot them.

They're brilliant bikes - lots of subtle improvements over the previous models while retaining everything that we all love about SVs.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 08:35 PM   #9
maviczap
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
If money is tight I wouldn't bother with a new bike. Get one a couple of years old with low miles.

New bikes are only new for a week or so, then it'll look the same as the second hand one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
+1 to what Darren said. Lots of 2017 / 2018 models on the market with less than 5,000 miles up, and with the balance of Suzuki's current 3-year warranty.

In April I bought my bog-standard AL7 from a local Suzi dealer, it was their demo bike. 18 months old, 1,600 miles with full refresh service (oil / filter / brake bleed etc) done before sale for £4,250 with 18 months factory warranty remaining. It has a couple of tarnished fasteners from usage but you have to be less than 2 feet away to spot them.

They're brilliant bikes - lots of subtle improvements over the previous models while retaining everything that we all love about SVs.
+2. Haven't bought a brand new bike since 1983 nor a car either

Just get something low mileage with a good history that doesn't look abused
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-19, 09:17 PM   #10
daktulos

It's definitely something to consider, but I would need to take out a loan (or wait a couple of years) instead of financing it.