SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-11-07, 11:05 PM   #1
ThEGr33k

Question help - mileage question!

Im looking at buying an SV1000s... Ive got a test ride on saturday on a K3 model they are selling for £3300 - good price? I had to put a deposit down to get a test ride - which i should get back if i dont want it...

Anyhow this bike has done just over 12k miles, im wondering if that is a lot and if anyone knows what sort of milage to expect the SV1000 to do before it falls to bits... I know it probably the right place to ask but im on here so i have

One other question. Is it worth going for a bike with about 3K miles on the clock of if i like this bike just go for it?

Cheers for any feedback!
Old 09-11-07, 11:09 PM   #2
kwak zzr

Default Re: help - mileage question!

12k on that engine is nothing as long as its had all of its services, seems abit expensive tho, i couldn't sell my k3 for £3000 with 4k on the clock.
Old 09-11-07, 11:11 PM   #3
Viney
Mega Poster

It all depends on how its been looked after. Like all engines, good servicing not thrashing it when cold etc, helps life. Many an sv on here has done over 50000 miles, so the svthou lump id imagine would be less stressed.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-07, 11:23 PM   #4
ThEGr33k

Indeed, im going to try to push the price down... the thing is that they offered me £1500 for my SV650s, though to be fair it has done 24K miles in 2 years. so i said well thats a little low, they said well we can knock some money off of the thou. So they put it down to £3100.

Ill see what i think to the bike, im taking a friend who has rode a couple lately for his son (as his son is young...19 :S). So ill get his input and see what.

If i need to get them down on price alittle ill drop the bomb shell that ive seen bikes with less milage for the same price... see if that helps some. If not then i can walk away i guess. Heh See how it goes.

*_guess we will always lose out a little with dealers_*

P.S. It has Full Service History... though ive yet to see this. :S
Old 09-11-07, 11:31 PM   #5
kwak zzr

Ive seen k3 thous as much as £3700 in dealers but the thou don't sell very well and the dealer will know this and be keen to shift it, he will also know how much easy'r your 650 will be to sell, tell him you want £2100 for yours, 1000 to change or you walk.
Old 09-11-07, 11:34 PM   #6
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak zzr View Post
Ive seen k3 thous as much as £3700 in dealers but the thou don't sell very well and the dealer will know this and be keen to shift it, he will also know how much easy'r your 650 will be to sell, tell him you want £2100 for yours, 1000 to change or you walk.
This one has been in my local dealers for months. Doubt they will sell it now at the sticker price. If they ever would. Well overpriced IMO.

Old 09-11-07, 11:36 PM   #7
kwak zzr

i sent that picture to my insurance pete, cheers for that
Old 09-11-07, 11:37 PM   #8
kwak zzr

my insurance company assessor book valued my sv at £3050 with 4400 on the clock, same bike as the one in the photo.
Old 09-11-07, 11:41 PM   #9
Lozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney View Post
It all depends on how its been looked after. Like all engines, good servicing not thrashing it when cold etc, helps life. Many an sv on here has done over 50000 miles, so the svthou lump id imagine would be less stressed.
Mine has 28,000 miles on the clock in 3 1/2 years of riding. It still runs like clockwork.
Old 10-11-07, 12:09 AM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEGr33k View Post
they offered me £1500 for my SV650s,
They'll make that back on the price of the thou anyway

IMO better to do things the old fashioned way, sell in cash, buy in cash.

Some people go all misty eyed and hypnotised when you wave a pile of fifties under their nose. Its worth a go to get that extra few hundred off the price.