SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 08-10-10, 07:54 PM   #1
coxxy

Default Wanna get into minitwin racing next year?

Follow this link to BMCRC test day invite which includes advice, bike help and license application process: http://www.bemsee.net/info-centre/ca...ason-info-2011
great day out and a guided intro to one of the best UK clubs around.
Old 13-10-10, 03:24 PM   #2
coxxy

Default Re: Wanna get into minitwin racing next year?

Thanks for the interest, all those pm's are most encouraging - look forward to meeting you there. Another thing you can do is ask further questions on this thread or check out previous advice on other historic SV forum threads.
One repeated question is costs etc. After bike is bought and other necessary kit acquired you would look to spend about 600 a weekend inc 2 x tyres, race fees inc test day, fuel & food. But most minitwinners would agree its more than worth it.
Old 14-10-10, 08:45 AM   #3
toot

If most Minitwiners are as skint as me, it will be 1 set of tyres for 2 race meetings mate.
Old 14-10-10, 07:08 PM   #4
coxxy

I know what you mean Toot, they have gotten v expensive and discounts seem hard to come by...............unless anyone knows different? On the other hand, we used to try and eek out tyres until more recently, lap times have improved and then crashing got more popular and then costs went back up! So now we spend our budget on the best we can get each weekend as it has lowered our repairs bill which can get out of hand. Selling off scrubs on ebay can realise £50 cash back and by digging around dealers you can get a pair of supercorsas for under 200 in London. I have heard that Michelins also last longer but we dont touch em anymore............................
Old 14-10-10, 08:00 PM   #5
toot

Next year will be different for me as well. I have been lucky enough to get some sponsership on tyres. they come at a price that will allow me to run new tyres every meeting.

I love sponsership.
Old 14-10-10, 08:18 PM   #6
-Ralph-

You'll be needing a bike then...

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=158614
Old 14-10-10, 09:46 PM   #7
coxxy

Jeeze, sponsorship for tyres?! Now theres a great start to the season, where did that come from?
Ralph, that looks like a good project for someone to convert to a minitwin - ideal project material. By the time you have stripped off the unwanted road gear and sold it off you could be on track for almost the same money. Our K4 cost less than 2K to buy, strip, sell the bits off and then prep ready to race with race subframes etc. Extra wheels added another 350.
May be interested ourselves as a spare bike
Old 15-10-10, 08:35 AM   #8
toot

It's from a local motorcycle tyre supplier. They aren't 'giving' me tyres, but are selling them to me at less than cost. This will allow me to sell them after one weekend racing and still be affordable.

Amazing what a good season and an e-mailed CV can do.
Old 15-10-10, 08:41 AM   #9
-Ralph-

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxxy View Post
Ralph, that looks like a good project for someone to convert to a minitwin - ideal project material. By the time you have stripped off the unwanted road gear and sold it off you could be on track for almost the same money. Our K4 cost less than 2K to buy, strip, sell the bits off and then prep ready to race with race subframes etc. Extra wheels added another 350.
May be interested ourselves as a spare bike
You know where I am!
Old 15-10-10, 09:09 AM   #10
coxxy

ok. Must try the cv ourselves then - even getting them at trade prices would help lower the tyre bill which has grown to nearly 3K this year (minus the sell off = 2.5K).
Thanks Ralph, I will talk with the 'team' as we were advised early last week that a spare bike may help in the event of mechanical breakdown - trouble is we are also in the market for a new van. And then theres the stock 600 project....................................:confus ed: