SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-12-04, 07:20 PM   #1
Biggles

Default OOps a daisy - there goes another one.....

Hi Guys - just thought I'd record another off for the SVers. Queing up for a left turn only filter light, a car coming the other way sees the van beside me in the right/ahead lane stop (as he was facing a red light) and so decides to pull through the stopped traffic in to the building site on the opposite side of the road (that is - my side). Oh glory be - there is a second lane of traffic with a nice little black SV coming along towards the green filter light -oops - bang - biker and bike on ground. Driver gets out of car, looks down at biker and says "my wife is very distressed you know (wife being in the car as passneger)" Biker replies that she is not having the greatest of days herself! Most contained in the circumstances.

Upshot is that the bike needs new lower fairing but should get away with paint job on upper one, new leavers, bar end, mirror etc and a pain job round the seat cowling. New lid from previous 'oops didn't see you' needs replacing as does jacket bought only 2 weeks ago at the NEC.

But it gets better - having spoken to the driver's insurance company - he is denying liability and they want to go 50/50. Now I may be being a tad officious here but no BL@@@Y way. So the saga goes on and even better my renewal is due on the 16th!! At least white van man in the lane next to me has come up trumps and offered to be a witness for me.

So just a bit fed up and fancied a rant.
Old 02-12-04, 07:23 PM   #2
Gforceuk

what a cheeky git.

if the police werent informed then nip down the station and report it that way you'll at least have an incident number or something to back you up. maybe someone else reported it and witness what the muppet did.
Old 02-12-04, 07:43 PM   #3
splke

some people just take the biscuit

Hope you are ok
Old 02-12-04, 07:46 PM   #4
Biggles

yeah - bit bashed down one side but basically fed up! Have done a map for the insurance company of who was where and contacted the witness who says he will make a statement in my favour so it's a wait and see case. Compared to some on here it's minor, just a pain and thankfully all recoverable.
Old 02-12-04, 07:54 PM   #5
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by splke
some people just take the biscuit
Yeah, normally me... followed by another & another (Mind you, Spike is catching up with the Clogmeister )

What a tw@ Take it all the way
Old 02-12-04, 07:59 PM   #6
Biggles

only if it's a chocolate hobnob
Old 02-12-04, 08:44 PM   #7
Jabba

Sorry to hear about this - glad you're mainly OK.

The guy and his insurance company haven't got a leg to stand on and it's lucky for him that the police didn't attend.

Take care.
Old 02-12-04, 08:55 PM   #8
Carsick

That's an ****.
From what you said it's absolutely clear cut, he pulled across your lane, bit of a no brainer, even an insurance company should be able to work that one out.
What's the odds that your premiums go up anyway?
Old 02-12-04, 09:28 PM   #9
mysteryjimbo

When i went thru a claim last year, the guy i ran into wanted to pass off complete liability to me.

However i had two eye witnesses and the police attended.

So they received a courtesy bike charge of around £4000 + my injury payment + bike costs + clothing costs! RESULT
Old 03-12-04, 12:21 AM   #10
chutz

Bad luck dude. Hope it all gets sorted and SOON!!!