SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-06-06, 12:07 AM   #1
***Steve***

Default Scuffed Panel Repair

I was looking through some old threads on panel repair, most of them deal with cracks there was an interesting one on BikeMedics but they're only in the North.

So has anyone actualy tried to repair the panels themselves or is it more trouble than it's worth? The damage to my K4 is fairly standard low speed stuff (Scuffed Bikini and seat fairing on the left side, gouges aren't too deep).

eBay is useless for fairings, the few that have come up are already damaged or the wrong colour and the standard parts are pretty pricey, besides as it's my first bike I'd like to do the repairs myself if it's practical.
Old 15-06-06, 03:01 PM   #2
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Can't help you DIY but I'm hoping to use

'steve@joy-home.fsnet.co.uk'

Quote from Steve Joy "Im based in North Lincs but I do travel around a fair bit in the uk so either i can collect or the postage service is great nowadays.

If possible some photos are the best way to get a good idea of the full extent of the parts requireing fixing.

SV's are my main trade as i race in the minitwin calss and have some spare panels knocking about that may come in handy."
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-06, 05:39 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Repairs are easy enough, anyone who can work sandpaper could do it. Scrapes are easy, cracks slightly harder, but still fairly easy.

But paint's less so. It's a skill to get good results, especially when you're colourmatching. I chose to spray my whole bike with a solid metallic rather than try to match a few panels. For one or two bits, personally I'd do the repair myself and take it to a pro for painting. Our own Big Al has done a lot of SV panels, worth dropping him a PM (and I'm not just saying that because he saved me half a dozen times in my respray )
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-06, 09:13 PM   #4
Warren

i repaired mine, get some colour matched paint from ebay, you can use filler if you like, but i didnt bother, and paint the panels.
Old 15-06-06, 09:27 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

Candies, which Suzuki is rather too keen on, are a sod to match though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-06, 09:27 PM   #6
***Steve***

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikageboy
i repaired mine, get some colour matched paint from ebay, you can use filler if you like, but i didnt bother, and paint the panels.
So just sand them and paint? Can you keep the sharp lines on the pointy bikini if you sand down? Hmm guess I'll find out. Any recomendation on abrasives for plastics?
Old 15-06-06, 09:33 PM   #7
Warren

i didnt bother sanding, i just painted over, you can barely notice,

but it all depends on how well you want it to look, wait til someone who knows thier stuff comes along, they will advise better than me.