SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-05-12, 06:59 AM   #1
millemille

Default SV special build - S-pokey-V.

Inspired by the likes of this....

and this...

SV650 frame, SV650 engine (standard initially - There's only going to be a single brake disc up front and I'm not sure how well this will cope with stopping bike et moi), under engine exhaust a la Buell, Ducati 916 front end, Honda CBR1000rr back end, Aprilia SXV wheels, SV fuel tank with front section cut off and plated and a fuel cell extension welded on the back/under the seat, Electrics up front in the space where the front of the tank used to be, Aprilia RSV4 seat unit mounted on tank extension (no sub frame), 2004 ZX10r top fairing with oil cooler mounted in air scoop cut out, quickshifter.

No lights. No fripperies.

It's under way, courtesy of various forum purchases and Ebay.

Aim is to have the rolling chassis completed by September.
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 09:01 AM   #2
Nick_69

Default Re: S-pokey-V

Sounds like a good build, very much looking fwd to seeing this come together

Now GSXR 600 K9
Nick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 12:25 PM   #3
Owenski

oh hello! looking loverly!
Old 31-05-12, 12:33 PM   #4
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

I would be very interested to see and know how you're going to fit the swing arm...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 02:10 PM   #5
Owenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
I would be very interested to see and know how you're going to fit the swing arm...
You thinking rear shock?
Old 31-05-12, 02:11 PM   #6
Viney
Mega Poster

Single disc will be fine if you use the right disc and caliper combination. 4 caliper at a minimum on a decent sized disc. But thats the least of your worries. That swing arm aint gonna fit the SV frame without some serious modification.

But we wouldnt be britisih if we didnt try the impossible. Good luck and cant wait to see it.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 04:04 PM   #7
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

I hope you've got a good guy for welding!

Quick question, did you look at any other rear swinger for fit? (I do remember posting on the question and CBR6 was the same width)

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 05:49 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
You thinking rear shock?
One of the considerations, along with lining the rear wheel/ chain up. The exhaust isn't so much of a consideration here luckily. But the offset of the shock and the machining modifications required has interested me.

This has nothing to do with the fact I have a GSR600 and a Daytona 675 arm in the garage... R6 and ZXR600 (or is it 636?) are easier to get in as I understand it, however the ZXR isn't the style I want and the R6 (can't remember the exact model codes) also has the offset shock problem.

So please lots of pictures and detail, very interested to see how this works out.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 06:18 PM   #9
millemille

One of the reason for choosing a CBR swingarm is there's no top shock mount on the frame. It's on the the top of the swingarm so there's no worries about lining up the top mount.

The suspension linkage needs a new bottom tie point on the frame cross member. I've been over a CBR1000rr with a clinometer and tape measure and have all the measurements I need to place the linkage mounting point "in space" to replicate the CBR rear suspension geometry and then machine a mount to suit and then to weld to the frame.

Perhaps I should explain that I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have built and looked after bikes raced in BSB, WSB, WEC and the Manx GP and the TT. I have use of a machine shop owned by a friend and have a wide range of contacts in the racing world for help, advise, equipment etc.

I've got a 300mm length of 65mm dia 5083 round stock that I'm going to machine a new, 50mm narrower, bearing tube for the swingarm and a length of EN24T for the new, correspondingly narrower, bearing spacer. I'll cut the existing bearing tube out of the swingarm and cut away the side walls of the arms to clear the inside of the frame spars. The narrower bearing tube will be welded in and the cut away side walls will be plated and the shock tunnel will be gusseted between the inside faces of the swingarm and bearing tube to recover some strength. Given that a stock CBR swingarm is strong enough to be used in BSB with 200bhp and slicks I'm certain the modified one will happily cope with less than 100bhp and road tyres.

Chain line is simple - get the front wheel centred in the forks. Line the rear wheel up with the front wheel. Chain line is easily set with offset sprockets or spacers, if needed, particularly as the spoked wheel hubs are narrower that monocoque wheels.

Last edited by millemille; 31-05-12 at 06:23 PM.
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-12, 08:18 PM   #10
YaelD

No idea what any of that meant, but really looking forward to seeing this develop. Please ... loads of pictures