SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-10, 10:45 AM   #21
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Help On 'Bulletproofing' the bike for winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoubyLou View Post
Hiya, I have a 2008 Sport. My front forks and bolts behind the fairing are terrible after my first winter using the scott oiler protection. Wouldn't bother with that. Now use the ACF50 but horse and stable door spring to mind with that. Still, it's not got any worse so I will keep using it.
Yeah FS365 is absolutely useless if you want to do something completely insane like ride the bike when it's raining.

Honestly, bike preserving spray which dissolves when wet? Who thinks up this s**t?
Old 13-09-10, 01:10 PM   #22
Roberrrrt

When Owenski & I stripped & rebuilt my Curvy, we (more Owenski tbh) took the opportunity to spray the fork lowers, swing arm and engine in high-temperature satin black paint. It's been about four months of riding every day, in all weathers, and the finish is still good - only chipping off very slightly where I've used a paddock stand on the swingarm when adjusting chain etc.

Obviously this has been through the summer, so not had the full test of road salt to content with, but I think it'll withstand winter better than the original finish had done!
Old 13-09-10, 01:47 PM   #23
breakz187

just wait for that winter salt. Its coming to get you and your bike!
breakz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-10, 02:59 PM   #24
Matts-Yokes

[/QUOTE]On a supermoto which you'll ride like a d*ck everywhere (because you have to with a supermoto, it's the law), which means it will do about the same in fuel if not more.
Have you tried insuring a supermoto? More than an SV for me.

Have you serviced a supermoto recently? Every how many yards? If you can't do these yourself it will be VERY expensive.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, it may be the only law that means you have more fun !!!

Insurance is cheap its a 60bhp single that is almost impossible to damage? I have found it to be very cheap insurance in the past, even to the point that my mate bought one as his first "big bike" because no other bike could come close on performance/fun to the £ percentage.

If you cant service a supermoto yourself you shouldnt be messing with anything bike related at all, 1 cylinder, bodywork that comes off with only a couple of bolts removed and generally great access to any part of the bike within minutes.

I cant think of any bike that is easier to home service and if you go the boring SM route of a Jap bike like a DRZ or XR then you pretty much have a bike that doesnt need touching for thousands of miles, just wash it occasionally and lube the chain.

If you get a KTM prepare for a bit more service time but also prepare for double the fun.
Old 13-09-10, 03:08 PM   #25
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Insurance was dear for me SM'ing a CR500. Practical as f***! I never did it in the end due to cost.
DRZ or XR hardly proper supermotos... more supermoto "style"

Horses for courses, I would not like to ride a supermoto bike any distance like on motorway or dual carriageway. Ace for back road though. No weather protection due to position either.

See what you mean about servicing them, but how many questions you see on here from people who've never held a spanner in their lives.
Old 13-09-10, 09:52 PM   #26
cluffy

Chees for the replys folks, Much appreciated
Old 14-09-10, 05:26 AM   #27
mister c
Mega Poster

I ride mine through the winter & basically, if you keep it clean (I washed mine once a week whatever the weather) & lubricated it shouldn't degrade too fast.
The biggest problem I have found with the SV is the brake calipers. The rear is garbage. The pins end up siezeing in the caliper & also the pistons tend to sieze up if not kept on top of.
The front calipers also tend to sieze if not used regularly. I can wash mine on a Friday &, if I dont go out during the weekend, they rub on the discs for a couple of miles till everything has warmed up. Keep them lubed.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-10, 09:22 AM   #28
LoubyLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
Yeah FS365 is absolutely useless if you want to do something completely insane like ride the bike when it's raining.

Honestly, bike preserving spray which dissolves when wet? Who thinks up this s**t?
Wish I had known about the ACF-50 straight off then my bike wouldn't look like sh!%e in the summer! I know its only cosmetic but it bugs me!!
Old 14-09-10, 11:25 AM   #29
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

What's next? Ventilated waterproofs?
Old 14-09-10, 11:45 AM   #30
LoubyLou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie_chris View Post
What's next? Ventilated waterproofs?
Ooh yes please...I could do with getting wetter than I already do!!