SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-03-24, 04:40 PM   #1
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default carbon fuel tank vent cartridge

I fitted a new Yuasa battery to SV AL7 today and was trying to squeeze the standard tool kit, a plug-and-go puncture repair kit and some 16 gram CO2 cartridges ( to re-inflate the tyre if needed ) into the space under the seat, without much success - I am sure they all fitted under there before I transferred the kit to the car for the winter ( only really use the bike from March to October normally). My eye fell on the carbon fuel vent filter, which takes up an awful lot of room under the seat. Has anyone removed / relocated theirs to make room under the seat ? It does not appear to be part of MOT checks.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-03-24 at 12:03 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-24, 04:01 PM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: carbon fuel tank vent cartridge

I haven't removed it myself but I can't see how it would cause a problem as there isn't a sensor connected to the carbon can. I think you could probably join the tubes to and from the can with a connector just to keep things tidy.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-24, 10:48 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

the can is only to stop hydrocarbons from vented gases entering the atmosphere. remove it or get longer hoses and re-locate it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-24, 12:01 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
the can is only to stop hydrocarbons from vented gases entering the atmosphere. remove it or get longer hoses and re-locate it.

Cheers,

The can takes up a big chunk of useful storage space under the seat...

Looking at the canister it has 3 x 6.5 OD plastic connector stubs sticking out, with two pipes connected and the third connector has a rubber 'thimble' cover on it. AL7 has a plastic extension behind rear seat with rear light and the number plate hanging on, the can would cable tie up under that, but would get road crap on it. I have some 6.3mm silicone rubber tubing already and can get 1/4" barbed tube joining pieces and some spring hose clips off fleabay ( can use cable ties to clamp unpressurised hose onto barbed joiner, but a bit shonky ). Will have another looky to see if a cleaner place to mount it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 27-03-24, 01:38 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

i would dbbl check that it is indeed for the fuel tank breather. if not it might be part of the vacuum system.
Old 27-03-24, 03:04 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
i would dbbl check that it is indeed for the fuel tank breather. if not it might be part of the vacuum system.

This is the part, not specific to SV650 models, but a generic part for venting the fuel tank. In USA they have had this for a while, the fuel tank cap does not have a breather hole in it, everything going in and out of fuel tank has to pass through this can. They do give instructions to remove the can on SV650 riders forum in USA, but specify if can is removed and pipe blocked you need to fit a breather type cap to fuel tank.

If you click to second photo on the ebay site, there is another hollow stub on rear of the can, I had a look into it and there is a steel mesh inside, so obviously another exit or entrance to the can, I will try to face that downwards and will have fit a piece of hose to that as well to stop any crud getting in if i do mount it under tail tidy... I think I will bite the bullet and extend the pipes and relocate it, that wasted storage real estate is too good to miss.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/151305284179

Last edited by SV650rules; 27-03-24 at 03:13 PM.
Old 28-03-24, 10:04 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

if one end comes from the fuel tank then where does the other hose go. it might just be a case of adding a barbed straight joint in place of the can if there is enough wiggle room on the hose.
Old 28-03-24, 10:45 AM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

One hose comes from direction of fuel tank on LH side of bike ( but cannot see any connection either side of filler cap boss ) and the other one goes down to the RH side of bike down towards rear brake reservoir, but cannot see end of pipe ( my bike ii on ABBA stand ATM with RH side of bike close to garage wall so cannot get round to see properly ). It will be off the ABBA stand this week, already replaced battery and blown the tyres up - they had only lost a few PSI...

Apparently there are two kinds of EVAP systems, passive and dynamic. There are purge valves and all sorts of ****e on dynamic systems to allow fuel vapour from tank into inlet manifold etc, probably fitted to high end bikes like Ducati and BMW.. The Suzuki one looks like a simple passive system where it allows fuel vapour from tank to pass through carbon granules before being vented to atmosphere, and can allow air in and out of tank to make sure tank does not over-pressure or develop a vacuum inside. With either sort of EVAP system the fuel tank gets a sealed cap, plenty of advice on USA bike forums to remove / plug up EVAP but then you need to buy and fit a vented fuel tank cap, USA riders have had this crap on their bikes for a long time now, we are only just getting it.

Last edited by SV650rules; 28-03-24 at 11:07 AM.
Old 28-03-24, 01:02 PM   #9
Bibio
Mega Poster

looks like its a closed system

i personally would just take the can out and join the two hoses together
Old 28-03-24, 03:22 PM   #10
glang

Isnt 5 in the diagram the inlet/exhaust of the cannister? If its removed then the other two pipes (9 & 11) coming from the system can just vent to atmosphere but of course will give more petrol smell...
glang is offline   Reply With Quote