SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-09-09, 09:14 PM   #1
Spider

Default random numbers generator or not?

K6, naked (the only way to be). speedo started to randomly jump to different numbers when accelerating but settled out to the speed i was travelling when i shut the throttle. so took the front wheel off to check the pick up, nothing wrong there, now the speedo reads zero all the time apart from when i shut the throttle hard and then it generate`s numbers randomly. anyone else had problems like this? any ideas very welcome
Old 18-09-09, 03:32 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: random numbers generator or not???

The random number generator is indicative of a few things.

The first, and easiest thing to check is the speedo pickup (including the tiny rotor).

After that, take a look at the charging system (search on here, plenty of threads covering how to test, and what the results should be). Whilst you're doing this, it sounds silly, but tighten the battery terminals (it's been known to fix many a random number generator!).

Over the next few days, keep an eye on the rev counter. If that starts playing silly too (eg, 2k RPM when you're doing 70, or redlining when the engine is actually ticking over, and fluctuating a lot), it's a sign that the alternator could be on it's way out. If that goes, it'll likely take the reg/rec with it. Or it could just be the reg/rec on it's way out, but if that goes, it could take the battery with it too...

There's probably more things to check that I can't remember at the moment (4:30am), so I'll sleep on it & post back whenever I remember what they are. Alternatively, someone else will do that whilst I'm sleeping.
Old 18-09-09, 10:31 AM   #3
Spider

Default Re: random numbers generator or not???

cheers mate, that`s a fair few things to check so i`ll get on it as soon as