SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-09-09, 08:08 PM   #1
BlueRidge Rider

Smile Installing Audiovox Cruise Control in an SV650 (naked)

In searching for interesting things to do to my 2008 SV650 motorcycle I came across descriptions of how quite a few people had put the Audiovox Cruise Control ($90 shipped within the USA from Amazon) on their motorcycles. Being a habitual car CC user myself, I wanted one and thought it would be a fun project. But I could find no one who had put one on an SV650 so I could tell to what color wires to connect, where to install components, servo cable routing, and throttle linkage connection. So after much research, a lot of help from others in several different forums, and too much time studying wiring schematics I put one in recently. It works smoothly and accurately! And it will fit in the naked SV650.

It sure is nice to give my wrist some time off and maintain speed up and down hills not only effortlessly, but more accurately than I can do it myself.

I thought some people here might be interested in my writeup which has lots of pictures, so I posted it here: http://www.johnandrachel.net/Audiovo...tallation.html
Old 16-09-09, 08:12 PM   #2
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Default Re: Installing Audiovox Cruise Control in an SV650 (naked)

DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-09, 08:36 PM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Bloody good write up! Cheers for posting, hope someone can put it to use.
...wish I could fit one to my car...
Old 16-09-09, 08:37 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge Rider View Post
I thought some people here might be interested in my writeup which has lots of pictures, so I posted it here: http://www.johnandrachel.net/Audiovo...tallation.html
Nice writeup but it's not a mod I would do, not least because it takes up all the spare space on the bike!

Also got to pull you up, on your article it says "motorcycles lack parking lights". All SVs have parking light setting on ignition, keeps small running light on.
Old 17-09-09, 02:15 AM   #5
BlueRidge Rider

yorkie chris, I should have said that motorcycles lack parking lights that can be turned off when riding. What I needed was a wire that is unpowered when riding with lights off and powered when they come on, but my lights are on all the time. Since that is the case, there is no way to provide the control pad with backlighting only at night. I've changed the writeup to say that. If I'd wired to the "P" position of the ignition switch, the backlighting would only have been on when the engine was off and the steering was locked!

DarrenSV650S, I looked into the throttle paddle in your picture and I thought it was a big improvement over having nothing. I still do! But it sure is nice to be able to hang my arm down to the side sometimes. The paddle requires the right hand on the handlebars at all times.

Dave20046, you sure can put one in your car. That's really what it's made for! The kit comes with a big booklet of models and years, telling you the DIP switch settings, the locations of the components, where you tap in, and the color of each wire. Also, there are CCs specifically for models of motorcycles - http://www.mccruise.com/ - but they cost TEN TIMES as much. Yikes!

Background on car use: Audiovox bought the cruise control division of Dana Corp. quite a few years back, but before that, around 1981 or 1982, I bought a Dana CC (cheap) from my local Toyota dealer's Parts Department. They were selling it because their mechanics could not figure out how to install it in a customer's car! Doing nothing more than following the directions, I installed it in my 1982 manual transmission Toyota Corolla in one full day and it worked like a champ the rest of the time I (and later my brother) owned the car, a total of maybe 12 years. It disengaged when I pushed in the clutch, too. Boy, did it make me proud to succeed where the pros had failed! I think it lasted about ten times as long as the factory unit in an Oldsmobile I had around then. So they make good quality stuff. The new one's servo is smaller yet eliminates the separate computer box by putting the electronics in the back of the servo. And it substitutes a control pad for the steering wheel stalk. I remember I had to cut the head off a bolt and use two nuts as jam nuts to mount on the side of the steering column so I could attach their stalk. Putting it on the dash with stickum is a lot easier.

Last edited by BlueRidge Rider; 17-09-09 at 02:17 AM.
Old 17-09-09, 02:57 AM   #6
rictus01
Mega Poster

Two question.

why would you want one on an SV, they are fun little bikes, curising around is the least enjoyable way of riding on one, so why haven't you got a curiser then ?

and second, what's wrong with an elastic band

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-09, 03:17 AM   #7
BlueRidge Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Two question.

why would you want one on an SV, they are fun little bikes, curising around is the least enjoyable way of riding on one, so why haven't you got a curiser then ?

and second, what's wrong with an elastic band

Cheers Mark.
Well, you gotta get to where you're going to go fast, right? I saw all kinds of people on the Tail of the Dragon in NC a couple weeks ago and I bet they wished they had one to get there.

And I think there is nothing wrong with an elastic band. I'm using one right now to hold up my underpants.
Old 17-09-09, 04:30 AM   #8
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Well, you gotta get to where you're going to go fast, right? I saw all kinds of people on the Tail of the Dragon in NC a couple weeks ago and I bet they wished they had one to get there.

And I think there is nothing wrong with an elastic band. I'm using one right now to hold up my underpants.
Biking is about the journey not the destination.

http://travelswithmymotorbike.wordpr...ruise-control/
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-09, 09:20 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
yorkie chris, I should have said that motorcycles lack parking lights that can be turned off when riding.
Ahhh. Should have bought a curvy.
Old 17-09-09, 10:50 AM   #10
davepreston

pointless engineering wonderful isnt it , to all who have said why i say why not, you would be surprise how many pointless efforts have then been adapted for impoving bikes/cars
well done that man