SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-06-06, 10:00 AM   #1
fraser01

Default ACF50 or FS365 protecor spray...

Ok who has used them, who swears by them and those that have used both, which would you say was the better product?

Rich
Old 11-06-06, 10:05 AM   #2
Mr Toad

I used the FS365 all winter on my bike & it did a reasonable job - used to give it a quick wash down with the hose if it had been raining, & then a good squirt.

I think some people recommend the ACF50 as it's 'thicker' and dosen't appear to need reapplying so often

cheers
Old 11-06-06, 11:47 AM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Both work, both too dear, especially ACF50.

Buy cheapest motor oil you can find and mix with paraffin, apply with garden sprayer or similar, paraffin evaporates quickly leaving nice film of oil.

Cheap, works.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 09:35 PM   #4
Warren

i can vouch for the ACF50,

it works, enuff said.

its good for all uses really, like protecting BBQ's, using on ground anchors, lock and chains. shed bolts ect ect.
Old 11-06-06, 11:42 PM   #5
northwind
Mega Poster

I've tried the motor oil approach, but it doesn't seem to last anything like as well as the ACF50 on exposed areas, plus it leaves more of an ugly film. ACF50's not at all cheap, but it goes a long way. Certainly further than the equivalent value of FS365- though you need to be less indiscriminate with it to make it go that far, with FS365 or engine oil you can merrily waste loads.

It also smells nice. You can buy it in larger bottles for delivery with a paraffin gun, incidentally, the bottles come with a rather rubbish pump-gun. It seems to be a little thick to use with most squirty-bottles.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 06:01 AM   #6
Warren

i just went for an aerosol bottle of acf50, you dont have to use much at all, one bottle has lasted me a year and is still pretty much full.

i only re applied it 3 times over last winter (
Old 12-06-06, 08:40 AM   #7
SVeeedy Gonzales

I didn't like fs365 as the bottle leaked and the film didn't last very well (too thin). Using acf50 now and it's great. Much thicker and I only need plenty of it on the areas that are most at risk - rear shock, oil cooler, inside frame over the engine and other bits, etc. for most other bits you can just wipe it one with a rag. I've only applied it 3 times in the last 6 months, it lasts that well. Will be giving the oil/paraffin mix a go though!
Old 12-06-06, 09:46 AM   #8
tricky

Found this on Ebay, is that a fair price or is that a bit steep ?

Link
Old 12-06-06, 09:50 AM   #9
wyrdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky
Found this on Ebay, is that a fair price or is that a bit steep ?

Link
That's about normal price. Considering that it should last you a year, it's not expensive for the protection that it provides for your bike.
Old 12-06-06, 09:57 AM   #10
fraser01

So i should give ACF50 a try then, i can buy that at Harley Davidson in Southampton.