SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-03-10, 01:57 AM   #1
monkey

Default Garage security- how can I improve it? Battery alarm in mind.

My garage neighbour recently had his quad () pinched from his garage after kindly showing them where it lived after they followed up his for sale advert. All they had to do was one single drill through the euro type barrel of the lock. This has got me a bit concerned and I want to sort out some security for mine which has the same rubbish lock. I must tell you that my garage is more than a mile from my house and has no power.

I don't want to put any external locks on it as that will only advertise there's something worth nicking in there. I will try and get a better barrel for the lock to at least slow down any would be thieves. I was also looking at the Xena battery powered PIR alarm and the extra siren to go with it. Has anyone got experience of these alarms and if so are they any good? I was also going to modify a personal attack alarm and link it to a heavy duty window reed switch as the first deterrent should they try and jemmy the garage open.

Also is there anything else I can do besides camp there overnight? I've started looking for a different garage in a better neighbourhood but they're few and far between around here.
Old 03-03-10, 02:03 AM   #2
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Default Re: Garage security- how can I improve it? Battery alarm in mind.

Trouble is, will anybody notice the siren going off before the baddie smashes it?

Maybe something like a hidden mobile phone that rings your mobile (which you would disarm when you entered yourself). Not sure if such a thing exists, might need inventing.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 02:21 AM   #3
monkey

Well I was thinking about posting generic leaflets around the houses which circle it to at least try and encourage them to have a look.

I have a Datatool system 4 which can have a garage sensor plugged into it and also a text alert system whereby it would text me if the alarm sounded. I've yet to find a GSM phone dialler up to the job.

The extra siren I posted about means that they would have to smash them both before it packed in and the main one would be hidden at the back of the garage.
Old 03-03-10, 02:44 AM   #4
barwel1992

what about a ground ancher ? for the bike
Old 03-03-10, 03:07 AM   #5
sunshine

if its the middle of the night someone would complain about the xena, like the security guards at my work did before, they had to get off there lazy **** to see why it was going off, i think there useful and loud.

I also agree with barwel get a ground anchor and big chain.
Old 03-03-10, 05:08 AM   #6
davepreston

abro locks are the dogs danglies, ground anchor, a rape alarm is fecking loud and easily moddified, or what about a good old tripwired flashbang or flare
Old 03-03-10, 07:51 AM   #7
carternd

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepreston View Post
abro locks are the dogs danglies, ground anchor, a rape alarm is fecking loud and easily moddified, or what about a good old tripwired flashbang or flare
Pyro's in a garage, sounds like a recipe for disaster!
Old 03-03-10, 03:49 PM   #8
monkey

The problem with ground anchors and chains is that I have three bikes and a classic scooter in there. One of the bikes belongs to a mate who I share the garage with too so the logistics of it wouldn't work.
Old 03-03-10, 03:53 PM   #9
G
Mega Poster

I am a believer of less is more with regards to the outside like you. Defo dont put locks on the outside etc.

Inside I just have a wireless sensor on the door attached to the main house alarm, if it opened then off it goes. They can smash the sensor as much as they like the alarm will still go off.
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-10, 04:10 PM   #10
sunshine

ok a ground anchor either wall and a chain running through all the bikes then both of you have keys problem solved?