SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-12-16, 11:53 PM   #1
slaked

Default SV650 Revving Madness

I have a 1999 SV650 which was in for an interim service about 4 weeks ago where they did the usual filters, spark plugs and oil change. Since having it back I've had all sorts of intermittent problems.

The first problem occurred a few days after getting it back - when starting from cold for the first 5 or so miles when idling the revs would go below a thousand and die so I had to keep revving it slightly to keep it above 2000. By the time I got to work (8 miles) it would idle just fine in the carpark.

About a week later I noticed the rev counter started playing up. Sometimes it wouldn't move up at all, sometimes it would flap between zero and two thousand about once every second and sometimes it just worked fine.

A few days ago I wasn't even turning the throttle at all and it revved up to about six thousand while still in first and I couldn't do anything to get it back down again. Luckily I was only going about 20mph so clutch in, put it in neutral and engine off. Started it up again about 10 seconds later and it ran fine (well it was idling slightly above 2000 but at least it didn't sound like it was about to explode!)

Now I'm getting a combination of all three problems either separately or all at the same time.

Any ideas what could explain all/some of these? The garage I got the service done is trustworthy, I bought the bike from them second hand (they're a Suzuki dealer) and have had it in to them a few times since and never had an issue. The only problem is they are on the other side of the city and I just don't have the time to get it over to them immediately.

Last edited by slaked; 14-12-16 at 12:10 AM.
Old 14-12-16, 08:09 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: SV650 Revving Madness

Putting the revcounter issue aside, make doubly sure that the throttle and choke cables are running free, not snagging at all and that they still have free play when you turn the handlebars left and right. If that all checks out OK, it sounds like an intermittent air leak in the carb mounting stubs or the airbox-to-carb mounting stubs. I would try and check those: unfortunately the only really sure way is to remove the airbox and carbs to inspect them.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-16, 09:41 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

looks like they have trapped or pushed control cables and harness out of line when replacing fuel tank, the only way to find out is to take tank off and have a looksie.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-16, 02:15 PM   #4
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

How old is the choke cable? As the others have said it does sound like a sticking cable which is easy to check and they do corrode and cause problems after a while - the only way round it is to replace it. But do check the routing as mentioned above - it if's only started since the service it does seem odd.
Old 20-12-16, 08:43 PM   #5
BigFootIsBlurry

If they did it I'd take it back and let them deal with it. If they're as reputable as you say they shouldn't have an issue.

2000 curvy, yellow and naked. Gone but not forgotten.
BigFootIsBlurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-16, 10:37 AM   #6
Blapper

Mind you, if they put it out (untested?) like that, I'd not want to go back there.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote