SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 27-08-11, 11:10 AM   #1
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Post 954 Fireblade Rear Shock Swap?

Long shot, but has anyone on here done this, by any slim chance?

I'm really struggling to work out how to take the big nut at the top of the shock off, Haynes Manual simply says 'Remove Seat', which I've done and is of absolutely no help at all.

I must be missing something, but I just can't see any way of getting either a spanner (22mm) or socket into the minute gap, let alone get any kind of leverage on it to budge it...

Any insights oh Mighty Org?!

Cheers
JM

Creatomatic

Last edited by JamesMio; 27-08-11 at 11:15 AM.
JamesMio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-11, 12:09 PM   #2
Milky Bar Kid

Default Re: FFS!!! 954 Fireblade Rear Shock Swap?

Good job I couldn't make it out to play today then eh?
Old 27-08-11, 12:51 PM   #3
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Ha, I only decided to do the big swap after you got huckled off for lunch! I'd just meddled with it all this morning!

Creatomatic
Old 27-08-11, 12:55 PM   #4
Dave20046
Mega Poster

pic?

Haynes is all lies.
Old 27-08-11, 12:59 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinternetz
When you support the rear of the bike to remove the shock, you won't be able to use the normal stand that supports it from the swingarm. If you have solid rearset pegs (non-folding) you can put a jack stand under each one. Or, you can run a sturdy pole through the subframe, with it resting on a saw horse placed on each side of the bike. (on the 954 you'll have to remove the rear cowl to do this, as it covers the subframe, unlike my 929)

Front...best to support with a stand that lifts from the triple. It's pretty straightforward to remove them. Make a measurement of how far the forks stick up above the top triple so you can put them back in the same position. Remove the front wheel, then basically it's just loosening the bolts on the triples (upper and lower) and sliding them out. Support the fork so it doesn't crash to the floor when you've loosened that last bolt.

The shock is attached by a single bolt at the top. At the bottom, it's attached via triangular shaped plates. Remove the bottom first, making note of the orientation of the plates. Once you do this, the swing arm will fall, support it so IT doesn't crash on the floor! Then unbolt the shock from the top. It takes some manuevering to get it out, moving the swingarm up and down creates enough space to sneak it out of there.
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...oval-help.html

That any help?
Old 27-08-11, 01:08 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

if its anything like the SV it will be tight so good 6 sided sockets are a must.

i can't see honda employee's standing there with spanners so there must be a way to get an extension bar in there. have a good look at the frame horizontal to the nut for an access point.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-11, 05:01 PM   #7
JamesMio
Mega Poster

Well, after taking the tank off, it was relatively simple... No mention of that in the sodding manual though was there?!? Stupid thing. Thanks all!

Creatomatic
Old 27-08-11, 05:31 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

doing any kind of work that involves tight bolts anywhere near the shiny stuff i always take it off for safety.

i'm getting a pro at removing all the plastics/tank on an SV
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote