SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-03-06, 12:37 AM   #1
Unlucky4some

Default Numb hands

Hiya peeps!.

As you can see i'm kinda new here, i posted on here a couple of months ago saying i was hoping to part exchange my yamaha for a SV but my clutch went the day before i was to sign, Hence the name ..( I don't know what happened to my post it seems to have disappeared) .. Anyway the good news is that i am now the proud owner of a Black K4 (S).
Every thing is going great, i love the bike but i think the riding position will take a little getting use to as my hands and arms hurt if i ride for more than a hour without taking a break but it's getting better every time i ride so shouldn't take too long, one other thing tho is my hands keep going numb (pins & needles) which i think is partly to do with the weather (i'm starting to miss the heated grips on my yamaha ) and partly to do with the riding position because of the extra weight on my wrists and maybe me holding the bars a little to tight, anyone else had this problem? or found a good way of getting around it?

anyway just a short post to say hi and hope to meet some of you in the flesh this summer.

Unlucky4Some
Old 20-03-06, 12:41 AM   #2
Blue Flame
Mega Poster

Learn to relax your arms more and grip the tank with your knees. This advice came from other members of the forum and it fair helped me!!!.

I used to suffer from the same pins and needles that you talk about and it went away after following the kind advice from the peeps on here.

Previous >> K3 SV650S - Candy Copper;Lower Fairing Set;Fender Extender; Powerbronze Screen; HEL Braided Lines;
Blue Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-06, 12:44 AM   #3
jim@55

hello there !

and yes get some heated grips best thing ever,
re sore wrists what can i say ,itll pass
Old 20-03-06, 12:47 AM   #4
Unlucky4some

Wow that was a fast reply

I have heard of this too, but ATM I'm using my winter kit and i can't seem to grip the tank at all, to the point where i almost slipped off the back, if it wasn't for the raised pillion seat i probably would have But when (more like if) the weather gets better I'll be able to use my leathers which should grip nicely.
Thanks for the advise.

Unlucky4Some
Old 20-03-06, 12:49 AM   #5
PoRk ChOp

Default Re: Numb hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky4some
I don't know what happened to my post it seems to have disappeared)
The site has been down a few times, and some posts have been lost.

Quote:
i love the bike but i think the riding position will take a little getting use to as my hands and arms hurt if i ride for more than a hour without taking a break
It does get easier, honest. My wrists knacked when I got the SV, but after a year and a half I don't even notice it.

Quote:
one other thing tho is my hands keep going numb (pins & needles)
Don't hold on so tight, loosen your grip slightly and it shouldnt happen, again I found the same thing happened, maybe just nerves having a new bike and not wanting to drop it, so holding on for dear life, relax....

HTH
Old 20-03-06, 12:49 AM   #6
hall13uk

yeah relax more & grip with your knees is great advice.

The best advice given to me on a bike safe course with the met police

1. use the palms of your hands to steer, there is no need to grip the bars too hard.

2. your bike has 4 yes FOUR brakes
== front brake
== back brake
== gears
== throttle (works espically well on vtwins )

just a bit of advice i hope it helps
Old 20-03-06, 01:28 AM   #7
Unlucky4some

Thanks all for the advise.

I try to not hold to tight with my left hand but with the right i need to keep it tight enough to keep the throttle open and smooth, when i relax my right hand i can't make slight adjustments to the throttle its kinda all or nothing
I just need to get use to it i guess,

As for braking, the throttle works a bit too well i've had the back end sliding when changing down and not keeping the revs up couple of times ( only on cold tyres tho) .. I'm still use to my old inline 4
still fun tho
Old 20-03-06, 01:37 AM   #8
PoRk ChOp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky4some
As for braking, the throttle works a bit too well i've had the back end sliding when changing down and not keeping the revs up couple of times ( only on cold tyres tho)
Just make sure that you blip the throttle mate and it should be ok.
Old 20-03-06, 06:31 AM   #9
TC3

Loosen and turn clutch and brake lever forward so that your wrists are more in line with your arms. Do not do the gloves up too tight on the wrist.
Old 20-03-06, 09:18 AM   #10
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC3
Do not do the gloves up too tight on the wrist.
Also dont wear a watch or anything tight around your wrists either as its quite painful when your big chunky watch gets trapped to far up your arm and then starts digging in

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote