SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-08, 11:51 AM   #1
ljm2008

Unhappy No test for me today, went down in training :-(

I was meant to have my direct access bike test today but instead I'm sitting on the coach with my leg elevated getting bored already with daytime tv!

Had my 500 day training yesterday. I've been having some small inconsistencies when I'm stopping putting my foot out too soon. We were going out in the afternoon and pulled up at a junction with dodgy camber. Put my foot out too soon, must have pulled the front brake (I don't remember) bike loses balance and the next thing I know I'm on the ground with the bike on top of my foot. The instructor managed to lift it off me as I pulled my foot out, but my boot was totally squashed to about half the normal width. To say it was painful is an understatement. Couldn't even get up, and when they tried to get me to stand up I thought I was gonna pass out or something. Got an ambulance to take me to the hospital (ambulance driver was a cheeky so-and-so!)...didn't realise I needed to be interviewed by the police too! Strangely enough the night before I had a dream that I got interviewed by the police...hmm...premonition??? Got X-rayed and stuff and thankfully it's not broken, so I just got sent home with some ibuprofen and paracetamol. Got some great bruises on my leg and a swollen foot (hubby took photos) but other than that I'm ok.

Just a pain that I need to buy a new helmet (apparently the instructor saw my head go down too) and new boots and I've only spent like 2 days on the bikes!!

To be honest last night I just wanted to give up...I'm not feeling so negative now but still needing any advice I can get on how to get my confidence back before I go back for more training and test hopefully if I don't change my mind before then... I do have my SV sitting outside though that I'm hoping will keep me motivated! I know it's only a small accident but when it's with something as simple as just stopping then it's a bit scary and really knocked my confidence!

Laura
Old 03-09-08, 11:55 AM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: No test for me today, went down in training :-(

The only way you're going to get your confidence back is to get back on a bike.

More training time is what you need. Maybe go back to basics on the 125 and build your confidence up that way before you get on the 500 again.

You just need to keep plugging away at it. Theres no easy fix.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 11:59 AM   #3
ArtyLady

So sorry to hear this Laura - you must feel so dissapointed

Many people drop their bikes at low speed/standstill etc - but I think you were plain unlucky to hurt yourself - Ive done it twice - the first time I fell out of the way and the second time I just had a bruise on my leg.

Give yourself some time to recover before making any decisions and GWS
Old 03-09-08, 12:01 PM   #4
muffles

Was it a proper motorcycle boot? Just surprised it got squashed that all, they're usually quite heavily armoured. Having said that I've never had a motorcycle on top of mine!

I think Fizz is right you just need to get back out there, that's what people do after offs & yours is no different. I guess you'll always be a bit more wary/aware of the road camber now! If you struggle with the 500s you can take your test on a 125, then get a restricted big bike for a while to get *really* used to the characteristics, and then do your full unrestricted test a few months later.
Old 03-09-08, 12:07 PM   #5
ThEGr33k

Hope your foot/leg gets better quickly!

To be honest you seem to have identified the problem... you putting your foot down too early. Try to work on this, maybe go back to 125's till you feel happy again then move back up to the big bike.

Is the instructor happy to have you back? ha ha wrecking his bike and all that J/K

Take care!
Old 03-09-08, 12:13 PM   #6
Corf

at least you got your first incident out of the way. everyone has or is going to do something like this particularly at the start of biking. like fizz said - just getting back involved is the only way. momentary lack of judgement. can't leave you sv all alone not fulfilling its destiny to provide you with a good time.

sucks about the helmet too. but better that he noticed you might need a new one. hope you leg gets better soon.
Old 03-09-08, 12:18 PM   #7
DanAbnormal

Strange, I must have come off about 10 times in training doing U turns (curse them). Hope you mend up soon and get back out there.
Old 03-09-08, 12:22 PM   #8
ljm2008

Hey,

These are the boots that I had:
http://www.girlsbike2.com/site/info.asp?id=512

Nowhere near top of the range or anything like that though! I've seen a lot of people training with trainers on which really scares me now! If I'd had trainers on I think I would have broken my foot, possibly ankle too. They thought the foot was broken all along until the x-ray said it wasn't. It wasn't so nice having random people in the hospital walking past making comments about how horrible it looked haha!

I'm looking at something like this now I think:
http://www.bikersdirect.co.uk/Alpine...-WP_AHQ5I.aspx

As for helmets, I really like the Shark ones, so will probably go for one of them.

The other thing is I was really wanting to get it all out the way before the new test comes in and before the weather gets too bad. The thought of the new test with all the low-speed stuff really scares me even more than the current test! And also my bike sitting there all on its own with no-one to play with...

Laura
Old 03-09-08, 12:24 PM   #9
ljm2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanAbnormal View Post
Strange, I must have come off about 10 times in training doing U turns (curse them). Hope you mend up soon and get back out there.
I'd already managed to drop it twice doing U-turns that day and jumped out the way! I think if/when I finally get my licence I won't be doing U-turns lol. And I like your little siggy...if someone could just take away the whole "needing to stop" thing I'd be fine just riding about...I like that bit!!

Laura
Old 03-09-08, 12:26 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Most people only ever U turn on their test then forget about it. It seems more of a hoop to jump through than of any practical value to most folk!